Steve Karakostas

New Forge and 4"x4" Anvil

Hey guys!

I'm really excited! I got my Chile Tabasco Forge and 4"x4"x12" anvil from Old World Anvils the other day. I got busy building stands for them. For the anvil I bolted some 4"x4" posts together and sunk the it seven inches into the base. But when lumber is listed as 4"x4" it's actually 3.4"x3.5" so I had to make half inch fillers out of plywood to make everything fit. The anvil is in there really tight and the loud pinging noise is non existent now. All and all I'm very happy the way everything turned out.

My next project is to clear out some clutter out of my garage and set up shop. Hopefully by the time I finish that my belt grinder will have arrived.

Steve

ChilliForge.jpg

PostAnvil.jpg

PostAnvil2.jpg

Put something non-flammable between your forge and the wooden stand you built for it. Doesn't have to be fancy, anything will do. For example: some bricks, a flat piece of rock, a ceramic floor tile, a scrap piece of cement board, and so on. Also, it is a good idea to get some flexible conduit to protect your propane hose from coming in contact with something red hot.

Other than that. Looks like a good start. I bet you are really excited.

~Bruce~

Put something non-flammable between your forge and the wooden stand you built for it. Doesn't have to be fancy, anything will do. For example: some bricks, a flat piece of rock, a ceramic floor tile, a scrap piece of cement board, and so on. Also, it is a good idea to get some flexible conduit to protect your propane hose from coming in contact with something red hot.

Other than that. Looks like a good start. I bet you are really excited.

~Bruce~

Hi Bruce,

You read my mind,I put a piece of cement board on last night! Flexible conduit sounds like a good idea, thanks for the tip.

I haven't been this excited in a very long time!!

Steve

Edited by Steve Karakostas

Hi Steve,

I was just wondering how you got a 4"x4"x12"? The site only lists a 4"x4"x4".... Do you buy three and they just didn't cut them apart??

Looks like it'll be a good setup!

Thanks

Adam

SWEET !

I've wanted one of those ever since Dave posted that ... sadly, i can't spare the anymore room...so much junk in the shop right now... you can take the walls away and the roof won't even dip an inch

man, that would a perfect blade making anvil

Greg

Hi Steve,

I was just wondering how you got a 4"x4"x12"? The site only lists a 4"x4"x4".... Do you buy three and they just didn't cut them apart??

Looks like it'll be a good setup!

Thanks

Adam

Hi Adam,

Dave Stephens posted a thread when he got his and he said all you have to do is ask them to make it 12" high. It costs a bit more but well worth it.

Thanks

SWEET !

I've wanted one of those ever since Dave posted that ... sadly, i can't spare the anymore room...so much junk in the shop right now... you can take the walls away and the roof won't even dip an inch

man, that would a perfect blade making anvil

Greg

Hi Greg,

I know how you feel about the junk in the work space. I cleaned out half the junk in my garage, once I find the energy for the other half I'll have an organized and functional shop.

Steve

Nice setup! Let us what the rebound is like on that little anvil, it looks great! Also, I have had my forge (Tabasco) on a wooden stand for years with no ill effects, although it wold be nice to be able to set hot billets and stuff on it...

Look at you go! B)

Awesome!

I can't tell from the photo, but did you get the sacrificial extra floor for the forge? If not, you'll want one if you plan to weld in it. Flux really eats up the ceramic shelf.

I found an art supply store that sells pre-cut kiln shelves that fit my chileforge for about $20 per shelf. Here's the link: http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-kiln-shelves/

I have the double burner model, so my interior is 16". You'll probably need to buy a different sized shelf. Hopefully they carry that size.

Have fun!

--Dave

Awesome!

I can't tell from the photo, but did you get the sacrificial extra floor for the forge? If not, you'll want one if you plan to weld in it. Flux really eats up the ceramic shelf.

I found an art supply store that sells pre-cut kiln shelves that fit my chileforge for about $20 per shelf. Here's the link: http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-kiln-shelves/

I have the double burner model, so my interior is 16". You'll probably need to buy a different sized shelf. Hopefully they carry that size.

Have fun!

--Dave

Hi Dave!

I actually did the get the sacrificial extra floor! You mentioned it in one of your videos and I made a note of it. Thanks for the link, I saved it for when my shelf gets destroyed by the flux.

Steve

Edited by Steve Karakostas

Nice setup! Let us what the rebound is like on that little anvil, it looks great! Also, I have had my forge (Tabasco) on a wooden stand for years with no ill effects, although it wold be nice to be able to set hot billets and stuff on it...

Hi Luke,

It rebounds pretty good, not as much as it would with an actual full sized anvil though.

Steve

Congratulations on your new set-up!

I recently had Dave build me a forge and so far I am really happy with it.

-DON:)

For clarification, I think Don means Dave of Chiliforge . . . not me.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get any orders for forges.

Grins,

Dave