Cory Martin Imaging

Cory Martin Imaging - Gallery of Knives

Hello,

I've decided to start one single topic that I will continue to add pictures to, rather than individual topics...this way it will create an ongoing gallery of my previous work.

Here's the 2 pictures I've already posted.

Ed Brandsey's "Armadillo" Knife

Brandsey-Ed---Armadillo-Knife.jpg

Brandsey-Ed---Armadillo-Knife-on-Stand.jpg

Barry Gallagher's "Spider" Auto

Gallagher-Barry---Spider-Auto.jpg

The next installments -

Steve Jernigan's All Damascus Folder with Stone & Gold Wire Inlays

Steve-Jernigan---All-Damascus-Folder-with-Inlays.jpg

Jot Singh Khalsa's Damascus Auto with Stone Handle & Engraved Bolsters

Jot-Singh-Khalsa---Stone-Auto.jpg

Peter Martin's "Steam-Punk" Damascus Folder with Actual Parts from a Pocket Watch

Peter-Martin---Watch-Parts-Knife.jpg

That's all for now...more to follow in the future.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!

Cory Martin

www.CoryMartinImaging.com

Great photos! My own mediocre skills give me an appreciation for how hard it can be to capture a blade and all it's glory.

John

Great photos! My own mediocre skills give me an appreciation for how hard it can be to capture a blade and all it's glory.

John

Thanks John...I seem to always have the same struggle that I call "Blade vs. Handle". I adjust the knife position & lighting and the blade looks good, but then the handle has bright spots or is tough to see...then I re-adjust the knife and lighting to make the handle look good, but I lose the blade then. It's easy to drive yourself crazy always chasing after it like this.

Solution:

I found that using some modelling clay (found at any hobby store) under the blade and handle to raise the knife up off the background gives me more control over the knife position, as well as provide deeper shadows underneath the knife. Because it's "suspended" above the background, I can simply push down on different spots of the knife where needed to slightly change the angle, which is often times just enough to capture the entire knife in good light.

Here's a few fixed blade knives...

Don Cowles - Miniature knife that was about 5" long total... The handle material and engraving provide enough detail for a full size knife!

Don-Cowles---Miniature-Knife-with-Engraving.jpg

Kevin Cashen - Absolutely gorgeous, carved Ebony handle is a perfect match for the damascus blade, guard and butt-cap.

Kevin-Cashen---Carved-Wood-Hunter.jpg

Ray Cover Sr. - ATS-34 Hunting knife with engraving and matching sheath...simple yet incredible!

Ray-Cover-Sr.---Wood-Hunter-with-Engraving.jpg

Rick Barrett - Wood handle Tanto with a PERFECT Hamon line...Rick is a true master of his craft!

Rick-Barrett---Wood-Handle-Tanto.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Hey Guys,

Here's a few more pics of folders featuring scrimshaw work. With highly detailed knives like these, blending multiple images is very helpful in showing the artwork. With a little practice in Photoshop, you can easily make the 2 or 3 separate images of the knife blend together seamlessly into one image. The viewer can now see almost 100% of the entire knife in one glance.

Dave Ricke

Dave-Ricke---Ivory-Folder-Scrim-Engraving.jpg

Peter Martin's "Elephant" Folder

Peter-Martin---Scrimshawed-Auto.jpg

Ed Kalfayan - Notice how the wolf is almost hidden within the branches.

Ed-Kalfayan---Damascus-Ivory-Folder-with-Scrim.jpg

Frank Centofante

Frank-Centofante---Damascus-Ivory-Folder-with-Scrim.jpg

On this last image I tried a new layout for showing multiple images in one. About the same amount of work required in Photoshop as blending them all on the same background as shown in the first 3 images, but this gives it a different effect. The separate boxes force your eye to focus on only one at a time which helps you see more detail. The end result is the same, but it adds some variety to everyone's portfolio.

More to come in the future and thanks for looking.

Wow Cory.

You do amazing work. You have to try to photograph knives and swords before you realize how much skill goes into capturing them clearly.

At this point I just take about 10,000 photos and hope that three or four turn out okay.

You make it look easy.

Cheers!

--Dave

Solution:

I found that using some modelling clay (found at any hobby store) under the blade and handle to raise the knife up off the background gives me more control over the knife position, as well as provide deeper shadows underneath the knife. Because it's "suspended" above the background, I can simply push down on different spots of the knife where needed to slightly change the angle, which is often times just enough to capture the entire knife in good light.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll try that out next time.

Once again, beautiful photos B)

John

Good looking photos of some cool knives. Do you by chance know the name of the scrimshander who did the last two knives (wolf and lynx/bobcat??)

Marcel

Good looking photos of some cool knives. Do you by chance know the name of the scrimshander who did the last two knives (wolf and lynx/bobcat??)

Marcel

I do not know who did the artwork. These knives were part of a collection I recently did for a local guy here in WI. I am pretty strict about making sure that credit is given where it is due, but I just couldn't get an answer on these.

Wow Cory.

You do amazing work. You have to try to photograph knives and swords before you realize how much skill goes into capturing them clearly.

At this point I just take about 10,000 photos and hope that three or four turn out okay.

You make it look easy.

Cheers!

--Dave

I too struggle with swords and some of the larger bowie knives. The struggle makes it that much more satisfying when you finally get everything set up just right and the photo turns out great.

Thanks for the compliments!

I do not know who did the artwork. These knives were part of a collection I recently did for a local guy here in WI. I am pretty strict about making sure that credit is given where it is due, but I just couldn't get an answer on these.

Cory, thanks. I was asking because the last one reminded me of the work of Rick Fields, one of the greatest scrimshanders that ever lived. He signed his work with R.B.F and it looks like that I see that signature in the last photo.

Marcel

Excellent photos, I know first hand how frustrating photography can be and your choice of back grounds and positioning are first class.

Peter

Sticking with the Scrimshaw theme for this next post, only it's on fixed blade knives.

Another classic Ed Brandsey knife.

Ed-Brandsey---Damascus-Hunter.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite knives I've ever photographed, and it's easy to see why!

It's a Viking / Celtic themed knife from Ed Lary.

Ed-Lary---Persian-Knife-with-Scrim.jpg

Same knife in the sheath - truly remarkable!

Ed-Lary---Persian-Knife-with-Scrim---Sheath.jpg

This sword by Mike Sakmar was about 30" long and was a fun challenge to shoot.

Mike-Sakmar---Sword-with-Engraving-%26-Scrim.jpg

This push dagger is a "Martin Family Special" - My dad made the knife and my mom did the scrim.

Peter-Martin---Scrim-Push-Dagger.jpg

Hats off to all you scrimshaw artists out there - keep up the good work!

Edited by Cory Martin Imaging

Hey guys,

There's a knife show this Friday, October 5-6, 2012 in Janesville, WI. I'll be there all set up with my gear taking photos for the makers, as well as any customers who'd like a knife photographed. Here's the special pricing flyer I'll be handing out before the show starts:

Show-Flyer.jpg

To clarify what Single, Double and Triple Images mean, here's some examples:

Single Image

Smith%26Wesson-Set---Eagle-Blade.jpg

Double Image

C.R.K.T.---Silver%26Blue-Folder.jpg

Triple Image

Jerry-Rados---Pearl%26Damascus-Folder.jpg

If you're in the area, please stop by the show to check out what's new from all the makers. I'll be located in one of the side conference rooms right outside the main hall area where the show is held. Stop in to say hi and get a photo taken of your knife.

Looking forward to a great show!

Thanks.

Here's the pictures I took at the Norther Lakes Knife Show last weekend.

Clarence DeYong - File Knife with a really cool carved wood handle.

Clarence-DeYong---File-Knife.jpg

Ed Brandsey - Bowie Knife on & off the stand.

Ed-Brandsey---Bowie-Knife.jpg

Ed-Brandsey---Bowie-Knife-on-Stand.jpg

Peter Martin - Walrus Ivory & Damascus hunter.

Peter-Martin---Ivory%26DamascusHunter.jpg

Here's his most recent "Pipehawk" with wire inlay.

Peter-Martin---Pipehawk.jpg

Damascus dagger with wire wrapped handle.

Peter-Martin---Wire-Wrapped-Dagger.jpg

Mosaic Damascus & Checkerboard Pearl.

Peter-Martin---Checkerboard-Pearls-Dual-Action-Auto.jpg

Mosaic Damascus & Composite Opal Dual Action Folder.

Peter-Martin---Opal-Dual-Action-Folder.jpg

Here's a rare straight knife from R.B. Johnson.

R.B.-Johnson---Hunter.jpg

And another from R.B.

R.B.-Johnson---Ivory-Toenail-Folder.jpg

A nice dual blade folder from Ken Erickson.

Ken-Erickson---Bone-Handle-Dual-Blade-Folder.jpg

ATS-34 Hunting knife from R.W. Wilson.

R.W.-Wilson---ATS-34-Hunter.jpg

And a Stainless Damascus Hunter.

R.W.-Wilson---Damascus-Knife.jpg

These guys gave me enough to at least stay busy during a relatively slow show (consensus from the makers). I will be submitting all of these to the editors and hopefully some / all will get some exposure in the magazines / books.