Stéphane A.

Wolf tooth project

Hello friends

This is a new project born during the inferno wheather we had the last weekends. Don't ask why I went to the forge to suffer <_<

A new project viking style. Not sure where it will lead succeed or fail at the moment. I wont document as much as the Langsax but will stop on some technical parts.

The inspiration was to start on a multi bar blade including a badass wolf tooth pattern. A first time for me.

I built some dies for my press thinking I could print the teeth in the bar and crush the next one on top for the mirror.

Total FAIL ! :lol: I crushed my dies and came up with B plan ( grinder and files ) a nightmare when you have 40°+ in the shop

The edge is 40 layers and the second pure iron.

IMG_0580.jpg

And because once is not enough I had to cut the second bar. Pure iron is soooo much softer B)

IMG_0581.jpg

Then heat up, squish to get close fit, let cool and clean up the scale.

IMG_0583.jpg

I skip some steps, weld of the teeth, get the other 20 layers tight twisted and the wrough iron.

Welding all together and grind, lots of grinding....

The blade still has to loose 1mm on each side. I have some weld flaws on two teeth (over 32) let's see what happens after HT....

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

The shape is not final, I have to think about a good design.... maybe a "Bush notch" ? humm ? ^_^

What do you think

Stéph

Stéph, if you pull this off half as well as you did the last one I predict a certain extra heat in your chin region! B)

As for 40 degrees C in the shop being hot, you are invited to visit my shop in late July and see what you think about 45 C... ;)

That's such a cool project! Makes me want to run out and try it :lol: Excellent work.

I think this one is really promising. You are off to a great start.

kc

That is some amazing construction there!

Looks like you got a clean weld considering all the extra surface area to address! 2 out of 32 is not bad!

Looking forward to seeing this as it comes along.

-DON:)

Edited by Don Andrade

Welded up just like a zipper! This is a very cool pattern, I wish you the best success!

John

Thanks Guys

Yes I really hope it will survive HT but as you know... you never know :rolleyes:

that looks great, very crisp, good work.

Nice work, Steph. The only difference you would see by pressing the teeth into the pattern bar would be an undulating pattern as the layers move up and down.

Mick.

Nice! wolfs tooth is something I've wanted to try for a long time just never wanted to do all that cutting! :lol: but great job so far, can't wait to see it come alive!

btw I've had blades with alot more then 2 weld flaws survive Ht.... :rolleyes: so don't worry to much!

great work so far... will be such a beautiful blade!

Super neat work Stephane!, going to be a stunner of a blade. I cant wait to see what your chisels do to the handle :)

I tried wolfs tooth pattern on a seax by hot cutting 'v's into one side, letting it cool, then forging it into the softer mating piece. Ended up with a right mess :D , had to resort to angle grinder 'v's to save it (was home made blister steel so couldnt throw it in the rejects pile!) - Made me realise the skill of the old timers, pre Bosch :lol:

It survived the quench !

Of course the weld flaw did not disappear by magic ;)

I dont have the guts to throw it to the scrap bucket. It is still acceptable for my personal collection.

Now I have to think about the next steps, fittings and little carvings maybe B)

Thanks for the kind word guys

Stéph

gdl.jpg

It survived the quench !

Of course the weld flaw did not disappear by magic ;)

I dont have the guts to throw it to the scrap bucket. It is still acceptable for my personal collection.

Now I have to think about the next steps, fittings and little carvings maybe B)

Thanks for the kind word guys

Stéph

gdl.jpg

Are you kidding? I would be honored to own any blade like that, weld flaws or not. It's stunning!

Hello my friends,

I officially unearth this project to show you the next steps. It took a while but steel can wait sometimes

Some of you might have seen it on Facebook but I owe so much to this community that it is the least I can do.

So here is the sequel, I resume the process from this blade

The whole scram needs to be taken apart so I extended the tang a little and threaded the end

I prepare the wax pieces for casting the bronze guard and pommel

gdl%20cire_zpsezzcmq2j.jpg

Edited by Stéphane A.

I used the same process as the Langsax. After casting, pieces are quite massive, there is a few hours work to file them to shape and remove most of the inside to lose weight.

gdl%20pommeau_zpsan74n9iv.jpg

gdl%20pommeau%20en%20cours_zpsdtoc19jv.j

gdl%20garde%20en%20cours_zps1ib9wvna.jpg

Pommel and guard before carvings and patina. At this stage, I prepare the boxwood bloc for the handle. Adjusting the bow shape is tricky and all pieces need to be precise before carvings. Adjusting later will not be possible without damaging carvings.

gdl%20pom%20et%20gard_zps137ao7fr.jpg

gdl%20garde_zpsqseeijx8.jpg

Research on designs from diverse inspirations. I chose the Mammen style and merged several sources to adapt this design to the handle

After transferring the sketch on the wood with paper starts a long but very enjoyable carving work. Thank you Jake Powning for sharing this disease J

gdl%20design%20manche_zpsvltx1sg1.jpg

To help a bit, malted lubricant is a must. Not to be consumed all the time due to obvious injuries…

I posted two videos on my Facebook page about these carvings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-forge-du-Morget/485814894874725?ref=hl

gdl%20gravure_zpsgqwvz7yi.jpg

gdl%20gravure%20en%20cours_zps6oditl5e.j

The bronze pieces are also carved and a liver of Sulphur patina applied to darken and age the color.

The boxwood handle also patinated with permanganate

gdl%20bronze%20patineacute_zps5mp0jbae.j

The pommel with the adjusted nut

gdl%20teaser_zpsfrmqfp7m.jpg

And the final scram

Not 100% final as the color and minor details will be adjusted once the scabbard is done. Yes, there is a lot to do on the leather and bronze fittings!

gdl%20garde%20finie_zpsttepnte7.jpg

gdl%20manche_zpse04daten.jpg

gdl%20scram%20fini_zps4xpg71qg.jpg

Better pictures will be made by a pro once the project is all done

Thank you very much for your attention and do not hesitate to share the FB page if you like

Stéphane

Edited by Stéphane A.
  • Like 2

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing all the in process pictures.

Fantastic! Great progress and a beautiful job carving the boxwood! Where did you get such a large piece?

That's NICE. I love the crispness of your work, it looks great.

Stephane! This is wonderful! I am on the road and so stuck with posting from my phone (thus no accents and smileys). Very well done indeed.