298729_3437297062302_913000331_n.jpg

Its an old headstone from a graveyard, 4 inches thick granite, i have seldom seen anvils with this amount of rebound!

I could hammer all day on this and feel like new.

I plan to set it on end so its taller, gives a better rebound than on the flat (both are phenominal)

Wood frame to hold, maybe someone with great skills design something a bit medieval?

Anyway, just took the rockhammer to the carved in name. took about 30 minutes, but you cant read the deceased's name now. (dont worry guys, this marker was replaced, i saw it myself)

I believed that Wayne Goddard mentioned this in The $50 Knife Shop. You have to watch the edges flaking off if you bring your hammer down and the steel you're working the edge with doesn't quite cover the edge of the stone but they can make good anvils with no ring to disturb the neighbors. I think that he said either marble or granite would do. It just needs a smooth flat face to hammer on. I believe that he wrote that he had picked up a piece of ruined stone for next to nothing at head stone dealer and the stone masons helped him load it into his truck just to get it out of the stone yard. The only thing that I would worry about is re-facing the surface if it got all chipped up but, then again, I have a good collection of dings on the face of my steel block that don't worry me much as of yet.

Doug

Nice find B)

How much does a stone like that weigh? Seems hefty and good for the job, albeit a little creepy.

John

It was free :)

I brought my main hammer to the fight when I first encountered this slab. The slab won.

Only a few flakes have come off, but I have beat the working corners and edges down to help elmininate chipping and flaking.

It might weigh in around 80 lbs or so, Im not positive, I can toss it on a scale at some point, but I can pick it up with relative ease (But I lift weights till my arms scream 3 times a week)

The rebound is rediculous, Ill make a vid tonight to showcase :D

Macabre!!!

Eric, someone needs to point this out, so here goes.

This is a public forum. Anyone in the world can look at this. Did it cross your mind at all (before posting this) that some people may be offended? I suspect that a certain percentage viewing this will take the view that you are a criminal and that the headstone was stolen. No matter what you do to convince them. After all, we only have your word that the headstone was replaced and that you acquired it legitimately. I am not saying this to be an ass or to jump down your throat. Just pointing out that this wonderful place we have here is not totally insulated from the rest of the world.

Congratulations on your first anvil. I know what a big step it is.

~Bruce~

Edited edit:

Just talked to co-workers, I now see what you mean.

I would like people to understand, the Deceased's family Purchased and had carved, a more elaborate and new grave-stone, and this older one was replaced with the new one, and was scheduled for burial in a ditch, or sent to be turned into gravel.

I phoned the head-office of the local mortuary, and they informed me they order the stones 4 hours drive away, but they might have some older ones, albiet with names carved into them, that would be available for pickup. I went out, and looked at two, one 3 inch, and one 4 inch. The 4 inch (pictured above) was selected for my use.

It was transferred to my work-shop face down, and behind closed doors, I removed the name by force with a rock hammer and time so there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to read the name. I shall remove the birth month, day year, and death day and month, the year will be left as a 'mark' of year carved.

The stone will be set on end, and the majority of carvings will be covered by wood.

If talks with a local mason, or on here prove the validity of my thoughts, then this method will be used.

Stone cut in half, the carving sides will be placed together (so you cant even tell) and 'cemented' together, I know theres a cement that masons use that make granite act as one piece.

I would like to do this for a few reasons, but mainly so people cannot tell it was a gravestone, and I can just call it my recycled granite chunk.

Edited by Eric Leonard

Edited edit:

Just talked to co-workers, I now see what you mean.

I would like people to understand, the Deceased's family Purchased and had carved, a more elaborate and new grave-stone, and this older one was replaced with the new one, and was scheduled for burial in a ditch, or sent to be turned into gravel.

I phoned the head-office of the local mortuary, and they informed me they order the stones 4 hours drive away, but they might have some older ones, albiet with names carved into them, that would be available for pickup. I went out, and looked at two, one 3 inch, and one 4 inch. The 4 inch (pictured above) was selected for my use.

It was transferred to my work-shop face down, and behind closed doors, I removed the name by force with a rock hammer and time so there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to read the name. I shall remove the birth month, day year, and death day and month, the year will be left as a 'mark' of year carved.

The stone will be set on end, and the majority of carvings will be covered by wood.

If talks with a local mason, or on here prove the validity of my thoughts, then this method will be used.

Stone cut in half, the carving sides will be placed together (so you cant even tell) and 'cemented' together, I know theres a cement that masons use that make granite act as one piece.

I would like to do this for a few reasons, but mainly so people cannot tell it was a gravestone, and I can just call it my recycled granite chunk.

Well I think its cool,its better then having it thrown away and going to wast just because of what it was.

Good luck with it an congrats B)

Is there sufficient rebound in stone to make a decent anvil? I have never tried so I may be wrong, but it seems like it wouldn't move metal very efficiently. All the energy of your blows would be absorbed by the block rather than rebounded.

Remember that an anvil is a force multiplier for your hammer. You hit one side, and a good anvil hits the other side with the rebound.

I don't know. Maybe this will work. Have you tried a ball bearing test (i.e. drop a ball bearing onto the face and see how well it bounces?). A good anvil should get a bounce that comes close to the drop height.

Any hard surface will work, of course, but surfaces that absorb energy make for really tired arms.

Interesting.

--Dave

Bruce, honestly, I think you're over reacting. Heck, there are probably people out there who are offended that we make knives period, especially those that have a more martial look to them. There are probably people who think that we break into rail yards to steal lengths of railroad track to make our anvils from. Eric said that he got the headstone after it had been replaced. It happens all the time for multiple reasons. That should be good enough. It might be creepy to you and, undoubtedly, others but it's really just recycled junk. I think that Eric was respectful to remove the person's name from it.

Doug

I am VERY offended by people getting offended over just about anything... it's a ROCK he got for free... Bang on it all you want, if you ask me...

Anyone who gets offended is 99% of the time trying to represent that they deserve something... if nothing else, an apology... absurd.

ALL of that aside, I might give this a shot! Good anvils are expensive and I'm just trying to find something that works better then the little anvil I made from very offensively large spikes. which I got for free, I promise.

Dave, this thing damn near makes my 2 or 3 lb main hammer fly out of my hand. I dont have a ball bearing, but this has more rebound than a block of untreated tool steel.

@Eric,this hobby is costly enough,if you can get anything for this hobby for free,go for it,why not,if its leagle there is no harm it,you did things out of respect,good luck with it and have fun with it,I think it realy cool that you did not let it go to wast... :D

I think it's pretty cool, old headstone and all. The older the better. What better way to meditate on what it is, exactly, that we make...

I said that if I have a tombstone (which id rather be entombed like knights of olde) And it got replaced, id WANT it to be used as an anvil.

Thanks for the compliments, I left the death year, as a reminder of when it was placed. Name is erased now of course, as are any religious symbols.