Metal edge protector for restoration job

Hey Folks,

I'm doing a restoration of an old Solingen hunting knife and I would like to make the sheath as close to the original as possible. Does anyone know where I might find a metal edge guard (or the material to make one) as seen in the attached photo.

I can make one from scratch if needed, but thought that if guards are available somewhere, I'd just buy one.

thanks,

Dave Suitor

repairPeter5.JPG

Edited by OldMan

Dave, I think that you are going to have to make one. I would get some thin brass or German silver sheet stock from one of the supply houses and bend it over a wooden form with a mallet and drill the holes. I imagine that the little short section on the spine side of the sheath near the tip would have to be formed over the curved part, or visa versa. I'm not sure how you would de-bur the holes so that they would not wear into the threads.

Doug

Dave, I think that you are going to have to make one. I would get some thin brass or German silver sheet stock from one of the supply houses and bend it over a wooden form with a mallet and drill the holes. I imagine that the little short section on the spine side of the sheath near the tip would have to be formed over the curved part, or visa versa. I'm not sure how you would de-bur the holes so that they would not wear into the threads.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I thought I'd look for the quick way before I spent the time making the protector.

regards,

dms