Went hunting for ore today.

Mark Green

Hi gang,

I made a trip down the the Carolina Easy brown ore site to bring home a big load of ore.

It was big fun, after the last couple of slim pickings for great effort, I needed something to show for the brutal hard work that it is.

Found some great old iron artifacts as well. Very cool.

The story here: https://picasaweb.google.com/106800196895572422821/HuntForOre#

Pic1439.JPG

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

That is Colorado?? I wouldn't doubt it. Lots of iron in Colorado, and Utah.

Or Alaska?? Could be there too.

I never knew there was so much ore in NC, until I did a pile of research about it, and started looking. Most of the ore mine here, closed down in the early 1800's, once they found all that nice ore up around the Great Lakes, and PA. It is just too scattered out here in NC. They reopened a few during the CW, which is a good thing for we who look for it. As when the war was over, they just walked away, leaving piles of ore sitting there.

Edited by Mark Green

Mark Green

(cptn. Mal)

Nice!

I haven't been able to locate any easy brown ore sites here, the ones that weren't completely mined out are all under trailer parks dozed out of the mountainside now. :rolleyes:

That darker stuff is probably hematite or even maghemite. Should be good stuff once roasted!

Hey man- nice haul!

Of course it's hard to say too much from pics, but the blocky fracture on that blue-black stuff looks kinda siliceous to me. If it indeed is a siliceous magnetite, it doesn't look far from the stuff we used to flux your Greensboro magnetite on the best smelt we did from that stuff.

Another thing that we've seen associated with the limonites up here, that looks kinda like that, is manganese ore, (I think in the form of psilomene). That's a handy flux stuff too.

On the subject of flux- Skip had a good idea for a silica source when you need it- diatomaceous earth- we haven't needed to try it yet, but I bet it would be perfect.

Cheers-

Lee

Thanks Lee, and Gang,

Yes Lee, that rock looks almost like flint. There are a lot of smaller rock of this type mixed in. Maybe why this easy ore has such wonderful slag. Always clean, and runny, and black glass like. I will look through my piles, and see how much of this I have. I may separate it out.

It may be why I have had such great luck with combining this ore with my local Magnetite. ( Peep Steel)

I'm hoping I have found a new source of local Magnetite. From up on the north side of the New River near Danbury. I found some of the old sites from the old digs. One field was covered with magnetite sand in every crack in the ground. I found about 20bs of nice solid rock. The old analysis of the ore from this area was very low T & Al. Quite a bit more silica. But that is easy to mag out some.

Most of the sites I will need to wait till winter to get into, it is very wild, and overgrown. There was said to be a dozen stacks running up there in the early 1800's

Pic1374.JPG

Pic1375.JPG

Always looking.

Keep looking Dennis, there is lots of ore here in the south. More then I ever thought!!

Mark

Mark Green

(cptn. Mal)

• 4 weeks later...

H Gang,

So I went back up abouve the Dan river looking for the Magnetite mines that scattered those hills, back in the early 1800's

I started back at the site I found the above rock.

Here is the story: https://picasaweb.google.com/106800196895572422821/AboveTheDanRiverOreHills?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnYj9ihyZmtOw#

Pic1541.JPG

Mark Green

(cptn. Mal)