WIP LOTRWolf sword

Matthew Parkinson

This is one I have been working on for a long time. the blade didn't make it through heat reat the first time and I needed to start over (super fun shape to forge and even more fun to polish/grind) we just got the second blade heat treated a few weeks ago. now on to the good stuff. the guard is steel overlayed with phospher bronze. the grip is Oak wraped with goat skin the spacers are mild steel and bronze, the pommel is mild steel with brass wire and an inlay of the bronze. enjoy !

wip2.jpg

wip1.jpg

Love it! I'm always a sucker for LOTR blades, and you're doing a heck of a job. Do you have any shots of the full sword?

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Very cool! Can't wait to see it finished.

More photos of the blade, please!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

not the best pics of the blade , I will get better when I have it all finished... working on carving the guard , about half done on the second side...

tokensword1o.jpg

tokensword2.jpg

Very nice. Can't wait to see it done.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Wow. Great fuller grind. I'll bet that was tricky!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Wow. Great fuller grind. I'll bet that was tricky!

grinding the fuller.. sucked, very stressful. forging in the fuller also sucked , just a bit less than grinding it. that said, the high point of suckage on the fuller was cleaning it up and polishing, as that was the last chance to slowly fix all of my earlier mess ups ....

I will say that I needed to forge in the fuller due to the size material I had on hand, but I am glad that i did. it sucked to do and grinding the forged in fuller sucked but I think it would have sucked so much more to try to free hand grind in that sweep at the base of the fuller.

I finished all of the carving on the guard and lightly re polished the blade I still need to make the scabbard , and will do the final polish and sharpining after the scabbard is finished. I still need to make the bronze fittings for both the knife and the sword scabbards, then make a sword belt with bronze fittings to match. getting closer!

MP

376863_3862291272722_1751026274_n.jpg

377572_3862292632756_870252548_n.jpg

Superb! I love the flare in the fuller, and feel your pain. I've been trying to make an asymmetric fuller that I can't grind in, and it's had all sorts of issues. Looking forward for the scabbardry!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Thanks guys , worth the pain no doubt. I have the sword basically finished at this point (just final polish and sharpening) the scabbard is finished, all that is left are the fitting for the scabbard. I took advantage of the good light today and got a few shots of it as it is right now.

token fin1.JPG

tokenfin2.JPG

tokenfin3.JPG

tokenfin5.JPG

tokenfin4.JPG

I finished the set today just in time to bring them up to Ashokan tomorrow. I will get better Pics when I get back on Mon and again after I get the sword belt finished, but for now some teasers.

token10.jpg

token11.jpg

Wow! Really beautiful.

I feel doubly bad about not attending Ashokan now because I won't be able to examine these beauties.

Well done, sir!

--Dave

(I still can't quite get my head wrapped around how you ground that fuller with the wide flare at the bottom. Jedi grinding skills, man. Way to use the force.)

I finished the sword belt today. I am waiting on the photographer to get better shots of every thing but here are some quick ones of peter trying it out. Nice to be finished with this project.

MP

belt.JPG

belt2.JPG

belt3.JPG

belt4.JPG

WOW!!!

Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

• 3 weeks later...

Now, it may be that I have a thing for wolves, but I love this combo! Great work!

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."
--Henry David Thoreau

My DeviantArt: http://wildwolfworkshop.deviantart.com/