My version of a Scottish Basket Hilt

dennis mcadams

I hope to organize the photos and put them up as a WIP. We'll see. For now here is a teaser of the sword in scabbard. Many thanks to all those I have taken technical ideas from. The hilt is bronze forged etc. riveted together, pommel is wrought iron, and pommel nut it bronze/copper mokume. The attachment for the pommel nut will be cut off and peened over. Oh, there is a blade in there too. W-2 with a single fuller. Enjoy.

Denis

BB-size1.jpg

BB-size.jpg

Och, laddie, ya done it! :D Leave it to a jeweler to patinate the bronze so niftily. B)

Can't wait to see that this weekend. And is that a Utilikilt in Black Watch? Might need to get one o' those...

Nice leatherwork too.

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes Alan, in part, it is The Black Watch tartan but a different brand of kilt. Yes the blade will debut at Bowie's this weekend. I do still have finish work to do on the blade but it is profiled, hardened, etc. I'm very much a cart before the horse kind of worker at times and this project really taught me not to do some things before the blade ever again. Way too much stress to realize that if the blade fails in heat treat one exactly the same dimensions would have to be created. Always, blade though temper and initial grind before ANY fittings. Whew.

Denis