K Freier

Side sword

Id like for my next big project to be an italian styled side sword, From what I understand its sometimes called a transition rapier,as a cut and thrust sword.

Are there any specific points to try to hit,like blade witdth or lenght, weight, that would differentiate it from longsword ?

Really what i am asking for is general guidelines on historic examples, which of course vary. Any input is appreciated.

What you are looking for are images of swords with blades that are a bit shorter and a bit wider than your long narrow thrusting rapier.

Many swords can be classified as side swords. There is not just one type. It is a classification based on its use, time and place in history.

In general these sword can be fairly light, at around 1 kilo or 1200 grams. Or lighter. The blade will be about half this weight. Blades can be around 90 cm long, including ricasso, or longer. A flat diamond or hexagonal cross section is common. The design of the hilt is time and place specific, and show an enormous variety of forms. In popular use of the word, you often see some of the simpler types of developed hilts shown as examples of transitional side sword, even if not all these weapons had these simpler forms of hilts.

A long sword is a very different weapon. These are the long gripped "hand and half" or "great" swords of the medieval period. They have almost nothing in common with rapiers or transitional swords.

Peter makes a good point. Many of the terms that are used to describe swords are rather artificial classifications from the late 19th century, such as side sword, bastard sword, and the like. Even things like rapier are not well defined.

Doug