The Snow is Here (already)

Dave Stephens

I think it's time to start emulating the geese and fly South in the Winter!

--Dave

sept snow.JPG

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

What. You are not like my Alaskan Malamute who gets decidedly frisky with the first snow? Look on the bright side... At least all the bugs are gone!

I would be quite content to look at that, all day, from my shop window, while working on a knife. The tone that it sets, quite and contemplative, is just the right mindset to do my best work. I suspect in many northern cultures, the onset of winter heralded the beginning of hunting season, as it was easier to locate, transport, and preserve game and not much else could be done. It would not surprise me if winter was viewed as a season of leisure, as all the hard work was already done and the only thing left was hunting, crafts, and to wait for spring.

Prayer to ULLR

Come snow! Come snow!

Fall fast, fall slow

be it powder or crud,

Let the inches be shown

Come snow! Come snow!

Blessed ULLR bestow

Make white our peaks

Make full our bowls

Come snow! Come snow!

From here to fro

Let the snow god be praised

Let his gifts be shown

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

It's nearly October 1st, so that's not so bad :lol::lol: . And from what I know, it could be 70 tomorrow.

It's just starting to feel a bit like Fall here, but unusually dry. Of course, it all could change in a moment and we could be knee deep in snow, or locust, or ooblek.

Pretty picture though.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I'm still riding my Goldwing to work . Make ya feel any better ??? :D

( I hope I don't need any favors for awhile ,,, )

Ken Burbank

Nice picture and to be enjoyed for the hunting and winter sports.

In my first life(before re-tiring)I always had to work outside from dark til dark so the more snow and wind that we had, made my days and sometimes nights pretty long.

A bunch of cows and yearlings on pasture is nice when it is decent weather. The ice chopping in the cold weather is a pain and the hay for the covered up grass makes for an expensive calf.

If you are a building contractor---you better have it dried in.

My kids loved to play in the snow but hated having to work in it.Grin.

The eighty are so feet to my shop door is far enough in a snow storm much less a blizzard.

God Bless

chuck

man, i forget that Anchorage is only 60/ north - i just think of that side of Canada going up a lot further. we're at 57/ north on skye, and i was shocked (shocked i tell you) to have -2C last week, after 5 months of the only good weather in Britain. but for the last three winters we've hit -15C, which is enough to give a consistent freeze even with our salt air. my point is that, yes, you chose to live in an extreme environment, partly because it was the thing you missed, were used to etc,. but mostly because it feels right - that extremity has been a deciding factor in your personal development, and i'd guess you want your children to feel that same fierce love you feel for an environment that's actively trying to kill you. It's why, as a species,

we like big dogs, dangerous men, crazy women, and fire...

but of course, everything is about perspective - i love and look forward to the onslaught of cold, and more often brutal, weather, because it presages the departure of the tourists - i get my island back. i suspect that Alaska is more subject to winter tourism, and you have to deal with the concomitant difficulties of your own environment coupled with a lot of numpties who don't know how to deal with it (here the majority of our climbing fatalities, for example, happen in summer, when people are unprepared).

i don't quite know what i'm trying to say, except don't hate the coming of the winter, because without it there can be no spring - don't fear the night, because it implies the dawn. if there is one through line of Northern European cultures, that is it, and while it is easy to forget, it is easier still to remember.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

I think it's time to start emulating the geese and fly South in the Winter!

--Dave

i don't quite know what i'm trying to say, except don't hate the coming of the winter, because without it there can be no spring - don't fear the night, because it implies the dawn. if there is one through line of Northern European cultures, that is it, and while it is easy to forget, it is easier still to remember.

Beautiful sentiment there Jake. Normally I would agree with the existential rightness of what you are saying.

but

NO WAY IN HELL!!!! :lol:

Come to Texas in the winter Dave. Forging weather arrived TODAY. Will stay that way until next June.

Some cold sometimes and maybe a little ice and snow occasionally. But give it three days and it will warm up again.

The living is easy here Dude.

Sorry Jake- I am leaving you out in the cold on this one. :rolleyes:

Nice picture though.

Well, I don't know guys. . . I certainly didn't mean to raise controversy based on a grumble photo (;

I do feel compelled to say, however, that I've lived in "extreme" environments for most of my life (google the Copper River Delta. . . that's home). So, I can honestly say that those of us that live, have been born into, and have lived in "extreme" shitty conditions are joined in the universal tendency to avoid more of the same.

In other words: I've had my life's quota of being cold and wet. Thank you.

I'm as appreciative as the next guy of an amazing Alaskan vista, but I'll take a white sand beach, blue water, a warm gentle breeze, and a stiff drink in my hand over a frozen tundra any day! I've got nothing left to prove on the testosterone front in terms of weather! I'll take a sandy flip-flop over a cold bunny boot any day! (Bunny Boots are an Alaskan thing . . . Google if confused.)

LOL!

-Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Argh. Hate winter.

I like it warm and nice... not cold and 20-layer of cloth just to from freezin...

NOT JEALOUS... but then again temperatures here have been dropping recently (although it's still ok)... but winter is coming (unfortunately).

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com