Sign in to follow this  
Rod Hart

Vulcan Anvil?

I may have found an anvil but have a few questions. The guy says it's a Vulcan & has a 10 on the side, he believes it's about 100lbs. Any idea on the weight? Second, what kind of quality am I looking at with a vulcan? It's a bit of a drive so I want to know as much as possible about this anvil before I commit to the drive. Thanks for any input!

Rod Hart

The 10 is on the foot below the horn. Is this a steel anvil or a wrought with a plate? The edges look pretty rough so I'm wondering if milling can give me at least one decent edge or would this ruin the anvil?

Rod Hart

Rod,in this complex Universe,there're as many ways of looking at an anvil as there are radii from one center...

Vulcans were a cheap,a cast-iron Fischer knock-off,produced using that authentic American process of casting iron onto a steel plate.

That said plate being rather thin,and since there aren't many people that actually USE anvils,well,they always went to use them without first dressing the edges to a radius.As a result,all Vulcans are chipped along the edges,some-rather badly.

And so,for all these reasons,among the collectors,neatnicks,and other Non-users of tools,given to a generally anal-retentive judgement of tooling(regardless wether the USE of much of which they're actually familiar with or not),Vulcans rate ...Lower than snake excreta in a wagon-wheel rut.

Then,there's that narrow cross-section of the population that actually uses the silly things...(U.S.Army,among others,every anvil stolen off of a base here in Alaska is invariably Vulcan(and badly chipped).

I meself have used nothing but a Vulcan that many a moon,and am here to tell you that they're all business-80/90% rebound still after years of use as a ...(never mind).As for the chips,well,IF you're to USE an anvil,then you'd know what to do with all them ground-out divits.

And though i've never had the misfortune and the indignity of forging on make-do scrap,but always had a decent Vulcan under me,i still don't know What that is that one must want or need to do that'll require Anything more than a plain,decent,regular anvil that any Vulcan is."The tools don't make a blacksmith...".you know...(But again,maybe it's different with Bladesmiths).

(If ever you need a guide whereby to judge a person dispensing anvil-wisdom,remember:Look at that person's anvil-face,like a mirror in archaic fairytale it only stays bright and shiny while that person is still alive(not easily done online,however)).

And,yeah,10 does indeed indicate 100# weight.

And all this is my (obnoxious)view on the matter(or is that scotch talking?)

Couldn't have said it better myself, Jake! :lol:

Cast iron, steel face, ugly, but fully functional. Hey, that sounds like me... :huh:

I own a Vulcan #10 which is 100 pounds with a very flat face and minimal chipping.

Its a very functional anvil.

Does it have the glorious rebound that a Sawyers anvil has? Nope.

But it does the job and doesn't move.

It does have a piercing ring so I would either wrap it or put a magnet on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

When you say cast, do you mean the 4% carbon stuff or Iron as in low carbon steel?

Plain old cast iron, 3-4% carbon.

I had a 130# loaner for a while, in near-new condition, even had the sticker on the side.

My first is a 70# Vulcan, with a nicely dressed face and radiused edges, still in good shape. Needs a better base, though. Most of my work is on a Larry Harley Special, a large 200# or so die head set in a bucket of concrete, with a 4x8" face... love that thing.

A vulcan will serve you well if you treat it with a little respect. I wouldn't hesitate buying it for $2/lb or less.

I've decided not to get the Vulcan. My drive would've been an 1 1/2 hrs one way & the pics I recieved show just how bad the edges are. I didn't see $2 a pound worth in that state of wear. On the bright side, the weld/fab forman has a neighbor that is selling a 140 lb(I believe is what he said) anvil for around $200. He couldn't remember the make but said the face is very nice. Trying not to get my hopes up but I really hope it turns out to be something worth while. I'm selling my 1950 Ford F-1(my first truck) to help with our new boy, Jaxson Ray Hart, but want to get a nice anvil to ease the sting. LOL! Thank you for the info & advice!

Rod Hart