Following the Cool Breeze Tanto

Blade is 9.5" nagasa. The steel is my own home-made steel. It has a beautiful o-mokume hada that shows very nicely in the polish. The hamon is ko-midare. The tanto is fitted in the aikuchi style. The saya is poplar lacquered in red and adorned with a bamboo motif. The kanji reads: 追涼風 "Following the Cool Breeze". The koiguchi is made of copper and the kurikata of horn. The tsuka is high quality same-gawa with horn fuchi and kashira. The habaki and menuki are made of patinated brass.

000.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Jesus,

great work. Nice steel, great hamon, and I like the meniki (little pin, right)?

kc

Thank you, guys. I really appreciate the comments.

The blade is as traditional as I can make it. Photographing these blades is quite hard without a permanent set-up. I tried to get the hada is some pictures and the hamon in others.

The handle decorations are called menuki and the pin is called mekugi. ;)

Edited by Jesus Hernandez

I must agree with Charlie. B)

My only question is, how does one handle it without getting it dirty? :lol: I know not to touch the blade, but that same is unreal and just asking for some dirt. ;)

Well, Alan... to keep it neat, one just does not need to take it to a certain hammer-in... :P

I just have to accept that I have a problem with cleanliness. If you can't eat off of it, then it is not clean.

That's really nice. Isn't it interesting how the hamons on the self-smelted steel are just so much more detailed than on modern steel? I guess it's the lack of manganese...but whatever it is, it really is striking. This one almost has a splintery looking effect. I've still got a bunch of my own tamahagane sitting in a bucket right now. But when I think about how much work stands between that bucket full of steel biscuits and an actual blade, I always seem to find something else to do!