Any feedback on this grinder?

I am interested in purchasing this grinder. I can't afford a $500 grinder and I am currently using a 4X36 grinder. I think that this narrower belt would help me. It's a Grizzly industry 1X48 grinder. Her is the Link.

My link

Any thoughts, feedback, or recommendations?

Edited by Brandonbuford

My recommendation would be, don't. It's not strong enough in any sense (motor, frame, tracking). Even the so called "knife grinder" is a poor buy, IMHO.

Save your pennies and think about one of these http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/ as a first grinder. Motors can be had from a variety of sources, craigslist, garage sales, motor repair shops and pulleys as well can be had pretty cheaply. Except as a sharpener (and maybe not even then) the Grizzly won't do what you want.

Just my .02

Geoff

My recommendation would be, don't. It's not strong enough in any sense (motor, frame, tracking). Even the so called "knife grinder" is a poor buy, IMHO.

Save your pennies and think about one of these http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/ as a first grinder. Motors can be had from a variety of sources, craigslist, garage sales, motor repair shops and pulleys as well can be had pretty cheaply. Except as a sharpener (and maybe not even then) the Grizzly won't do what you want.

Just my .02

Geoff

Thank you for this link. I am going to look really into these. Which one would I need to get?

2x72 is pretty much standard in the industry. That size belt is easy to get in lots of grits and price points. That would be my choice. The high end grinders (KMG and clones, Baders and many others) are built around 2 x 72 belts, so if you decided to upgrade at some point, your belts would still be good.

Geoff

Sears makes a 2x42" grinder for ~150 bucks. I used it for many years and still use it for finish handles and what not in my other shop. Belts are readily available from tru-grit, and you don't have to pay shipping.

If you can wait it out and by a grinder i would. To be honest the KMG isn't that much more expensive than a Koote grinder. For 720 bucks you can get a KMG with the flat platen, and then add a contact wheel later on when cash frees up. The Koote on the other hand doesn't track as well or have the same range of accessories available and still cost 500$+.

Regardless of which route you go let me know when you get the grinder if you need any help. I know some local sources for motors and have extra material for mounting plates and what not.

~~DJ

Avoid these at all costs. Save up a little longer and get a 2x48 or 2x72 grinder that will last you many years. I still use my first good 2x48 grinder, which is a disc on one side, belt on the other.

I've had the grizzly 4x36, 1x32 combo grinders. Both failed completely in less than a year. They are not good for metal work at all. I wouldn't recommend them for woodwork much either.

The motors are too weak, and the capacitor start is too weak for the load, resulting in capacitors blowing up. Grizzly don't keep a parts supply for these, and they provide no warranty for the low end China sourced equipment.

1/3 hp is not sufficient for sanding. Also, they don't have ball bearings, just greased bronze bushings, so the motor's power is wasted overcoming the bushing friction.

Once the bushings wear out, the belts don't track right.

The aluminum castings are crap, and often they come shipped with big cracks or voids.

You will be using the grinder a lot, so save up for a while and get something that won't fail.