Anvil tools

Sam Salvati

Made up some tooling today, right angle and straight up fine mandrels, a small 3 pin bender that will fit in the hardy hole, and scroll starter for very fine scroll work and making snub and penny end scrolls.

396267_4797142417424_79576134_n.jpg

560646_4797143257445_1096704851_n.jpg

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Very nice, indeed! I need to get going making some hardies..there's always a hundred uses I find myself needing one for, and I don't have a one :lol:

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Nate I'll admit I cheated a bit and used jackhammer bits, so as to have a preformed collar :D The hardy on the Hoffman anvil is only 3/4-7/8, a GREAT size to easily forge tooling for.

John, most hardies are not too usefule for bladesmithing, maybe a hot cut and a bending fork. I figured out a cool way to do them from flat bar too when I make some I will take pictures. WAY easier then forging from large stock.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Bending, drifting, cutting, all that good stuff. Especially with axe/hammer heads and rounding things that won't fit well on the horn. Can't wait to see some process pictures!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

That's not cheating, it's using your brain. :D Very nice work, Sam.

I wish THIS Hoffman could afford a Hoffman anvil.

Keep up the great work! Say hi to your lady for me.

Bill

Used jackhammer bits? I usually slow down when I get to the hammer bits in the hardware store, but then I say naaaah too expensive and keep going.

I've been wanting a hot cut hardy tool for a while. I keep hot cutting the dangerous way, using the ol' crotch vise.

thanks guys!!! More to come soon!

Bill, I really couldn't afford it either hehe. Alysia says HI!

Brian yes! Ask your local rental place for worn out ones, no biggy they do not need to be new.

Nate thanks :DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

thanks Saign! They are good. I got a friend in the bit biz that I am gonna get some more from.

Those are pretty slick there Sam!! Any chance you can do a bent bick like yours but shorter and slightly beefier? I've been looking for a suitable one for welding spear, chisel, etc. sockets. I have a couple of jack hammer bits I can send you. PM me if you're interested and we can talk $$

Denis

Dennis, yes absolutely. What size hardy hole?

Good job Sam,by the way how's the power hammer project goin ??

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!