Hloh

Mi first pipe and tobacco harvest

Hi!

This is my first pipe carved from bog oak as stem I use a walnut spruce. I made it for first successful batch of my tobacco.

faj.jpg?ver=2

Cool!

I also am curious about how you cured the tobacco.

That is awesome, and I don't even smoke tobacco!

I use food film and radiator for week then when leaves was dark made I a cord and leave it for day free respire. After that I put cord with dry plums (for good smell) in glass jar to ripen.

Here is cord before storage in jar:

rope.jpg?ver=2

Looks good, very unique! I have also grown my own for the last 18 yrs. Anyone can do it and with a 75% tobacco tax in my state it really pays to. And it really the only way to know what is in it. Or more aptly what is not in it. I also started growing my absinthe herbs which are mostly weed like when it comes to care.

I can imagine what that smells like with the hot cure and plum.:D

Oh nice, plum pipe tobacco! Were the leaves still a little damp when you made the cord? Was the glass jar sealed?

I tried my hand at curing my own tobacco a few years ago, and did not have great success. I'm going to plant some in the spring is why I'm so curious.

Very nice pipe too by the way.

summersend.jpg

pipey.jpg

I grew a pretty good crop this year- Golden Burley and Virginia Bright... I got them from newhopeseed.com which as excellent heirloom tobacco seeds. I air cured them up until our weather turned rainy for several weeks straight, at which point I brought them in and set up a curing chamber in an upstairs bathroom. 70% humidity and 70 degrees while it's coloring out. I have about 10 sticks of leaves curing in each leaf, so it's about 500 leaves! I aim to cure it in a whiskey barrel turned sideways into which I can hang the sticks and ferment at 130 F and 70% humidity with a simple temperature control set up to a crock pot filled with water and vents to control the humidity. Then I'm gonna case it in honey and a little vanilla, and try some other experiments like pressing, or twisting.

howtogrowtobacco.com is a pretty good resource.

I'm more and more of the mind that the tobacco itself isn't the real problem, but the additives in conventional products and the radon particles from the commercially used fertilizers.

The pipe is my first pre-bored from pimopipecraft.com right here in Vermont. I think I'm going to be making more, and maybe even selling them. It's a nice, immediate thing to make compared to knives & swords, and I love beautiful grained wood... :)

Edited to add: Nice pipe and rope, Hloh. I'd love to make a bog wood pipe!

Edited by J.Arthur Loose

best thing about that picture Jul is the two eggs on a plate.

ton of leaves, homebrew and two eggs.

a fine breakfast.

best thing about that picture Jul is the two eggs on a plate.

ton of leaves, homebrew and two eggs.

a fine breakfast.

Eleventies!

Very cool!! A smoke, and a laxative all in one :D

It was finally dry enough to get my "Mammoth" picked and hung up. I didn't transplant it outside until mid July, it just wasn't warm enough for little 4" starts to have made it.

IMG_0030_zps4ae1aa38.jpg

I let a couple bloom heads stay on so I'll have a lot of seeds available.

Also cut all my Artemesia Absinthia for next years absinthe batch. I got way more then I expected.

IMG_0028-1.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

Wow I need some of the seed please .I'll trade seed of any sort just do not have any backer seed to trade . let me know by pm please .

Sam

PM sent a few days ago.

Wow B, you make your own Absinthe? Very cool. A friend of mine gets it in from the EU.

Good stuff. Great with coffee.

Living in central NC, tobacco is everywhere. I love the smell of it, when it is curring in the barn.

We do the Landscape maint. on the Lorillard plant in Greensboro. It has a great smell some days, depending on what they are making that day.

I can't stand cigarettes, but I used to like a pipe, or a good cigar.

After the harvest, most growers will let you gleen all the leaf you want.

Mark

How does Madrone Burl work for pipes? Any good? I picked up a bottle stopper blank of it at Woodcraft last night, hoping it might make a nice bowl.

If it was properly prepared, it's fine. Too bad ot wasn't...

Both briar and madrone have to be boiled to remove the bitter resins for use in pipes. The only woods Woodctaft has that are good for pipes are olive, cherry, osage, and African Blackwood.

Bog oak makes a great pipe too if you can find it.

I totally want some bog oak. I should make some pipes for sale!

If it was properly prepared, it's fine. Too bad ot wasn't...

Both briar and madrone have to be boiled to remove the bitter resins for use in pipes. The only woods Woodctaft has that are good for pipes are olive, cherry, osage, and African Blackwood.

Bog oak makes a great pipe too if you can find it.

It's dry, doesn't look like it's been stabilized with anything - can I boil it and hope for success? Hate to waste a good piece of wood, but I guess I can find another project for it...

I think once it's dry you're screwed, sorry... It would make cool handle accents, though!

Touching on my first love Holh. Just don't tell my wife. Very nice looking pipe!

Damn beer and a pipe watching your tobacco cure...add a flaming forge and you have the best pic ever. Yep it's all the crape they add to the tobacco in cigarettes for the quicker nicotine hit that'll kill Ya. They say most pipe smokers live nice long lives. But I'm no real expert. Lol.

Well off to smoke. I have some Northwoods calling to me.

I totally want some bog oak. I should make some pipes for sale!

Yes you absolutely should!

I use food film and radiator for week then when leaves was dark made I a cord and leave it for day free respire. After that I put cord with dry plums (for good smell) in glass jar to ripen.

Here is cord before storage in jar:

rope.jpg?ver=2

I would love a rope of that, if you have a spare to sell.

I could send you some in package with Bauernwehr if it goes to US (and if new owner agree with that). I have this bath (which is still half raw but usable) and new one with honey and plums which is still not full fermented but will be better ;) (you must store it in warm place to spring).