Walnut and old file

jonathan creason

I forged this one out of an old file I found in my great aunt's barn. It has a little hamon action going on, but it's my first attempt at it and I didn't do a very good job of making it show. Walnut handle with an awesome grain pattern and copper hardware. The sheath is wet formed veggie tanned leather.

timsknife1-1.jpg

timsknife2-1.jpg

Any comments and especially critisms are appreciated.

Edited by jonathan creason

double,

don't know why xxxt

Edited by Jokke

Jokke

That’s a good looking blade. I really like the figuring in the walnut. As for critiques, I would offer the following:

The guard looks a little too large or heavy for the blade. It throws the aesthetic balance off a bit.

It could be an optical illusion, but it appears that the handle and the blade both dip in at the guard, making sort of a gentle “V” shape from the end of the grip to the point of the blade. Generally speaking I prefer a smooth line to flow across the top of the entire piece.

The grip looks a little flat. Personally I prefer a more rounded or fluid shape on the grip.

Keep in mind that all of these are personal aesthetic preferences. You have a great knife there and should be proud of your work.

Mark