Wade Hougham

Hawk

I was working on a knife and looked out and saw this hawk. He/She stayed long enough for me to go into the house and grab my camera. I slowly walked up on it and got as close as 8 feet.

Hawk 006.jpg

Hawk 007.jpg

Hawk 009.jpg

Hawk 010.jpg

Way cool, Wade. I love birds. Nice shot of it flying away.

That is awesome. I'm surprised he stayed so long with you that close.

Great pic! There is one on my property that has a regular perch about 200' from the front door. He has this little game of taking off any time he see's the camera in my hand. I can go out any other time and he won't budge. We can drive into the driveway and he won't move.

Maybe the lens reflects a certain way or they are smarter then we give them credit for.

Edited by B Finnigan

I do believe that is a falcon (or kestrel) of some type. They are amazing hunters and some of the fastest birds in the air.

From looking at Wikipedia, it may be a Merlin falcon. I believe most adult hawks are about twice the size of that bird.

Great launch picture! Looks like he sang for you too! Very fortunate, you are :)

That's not fair!!! I thought you meant the choppin', whacking' kinda hawk!!!!! Cool "BIRD" pics though. :D

This is a tough one. Not a kestrel. Not colorful enough. Maybe a Merlin of the Taiga population. You live in Florida, right? How tall was the bird and how long was the wingspan?

My best guess is a sharp shinned hawk. The wings are the key. If they are broad then it's the hawk. If they are more narrow like a fighter jet then I would tend towards the Merlin. They are both about the same size.

-Art

p.s. I thought you meant the choppin', wackin' one too.

Edited by Art Lawrence

definitely a hawk. if it was over here i'd say it was a sparrow hawk, but i think Art called it - sharp shinned hawk. the reddish eyes are the cincher.

Sharp shinned hawks are very cool. I’ve had them follow only a couple feet behind me well I’m mowing and eat all the bugs that get scared up. They seem quite smart, and don’t scare easy.

Edited by Willman

I googled sharp shinned hawk and it looks like a perfect match, but not being a birder, it could also be the Coopers Hawk. Definately one of the two. Thanks for all of the replies and help identifying.

We have coopers hawks all over and they are bigger and have lumpy/scaled legs. But the birds of prey all look cool no matter what species.

I stand corrected! I do believe that is a Coopers Hawk or possibly a Sharp Shinned.

The eye color was certainly catching me up. Also many falcons have more interesting facial markings.

Very cool pics and info :)

I see hawks all the time, wish I didn't. I have chickens and just having a hawk fly over will kill egg production, plus hawks find chicken tasty.

That's a sharp-shinned. I have one that hangs out in the neighborhood. He recently developed a new hunting skill that greatly annoys my wife: He waits until the feeder is covered with Cardinals, then does a little test swoop. They scatter, and one or two always hit a glancing blow off the big picture window in the kitchen. The hawk has gotten very good at catching the stunned ones on the rebound. :lol:

My wife keeps trying to scare him away, but as I tell her, he's a bird and it's a bird feeder. Not his fault he eats birds and not seeds... B)

It seems the feathered critters tend to be much more intelligent then we give them credit. Our Sterling jays will make the exact same sound as the red tail hawks and scare off the birds from our feeders. It has fooled me countless times as I grab the camera and go outside to get a pic of the hawk. Only to see a jay sitting in one of the trees by the feeder. It's both funny and amazing.

I love raptors. Beautiful. There is a big female red tail that hangs out in my parents back yard. Gets real close. I never have a camera a round when she is there.

Down on the flatlands where I work , there are lots of rice paddies , which draw lots of rodents , so I get to see redtails all the time . I love seeing raptors , and I'm glad people haven't killed them off . There used to be a mating pair of peregrines living on the Mayo building in Rochester Minnesota , close to a security camera , the hospital people hooked that camera up to tv's all through the hospital so everybody could watch them . I don't know if they are still there .

Last winter we had a hawk chasing the birds through our Lilac bush. It was pretty amazing watching it fly through the branches.

That's a very good launch shot. Birds are smarter than we think, and a hawk is also an amazibg bird. When i lived in West Virginia, I had a nieghbor thay had a few chicken coops, and one day I went down to give them some tomatoes, I looked over and seen a hawk swoop down on a full sized chicken the same size as the hawk and then get the chicken. I was surprised at what they can catch and fly off with.