Wrought Iron

I recently scrounged a piece of old fence thinking maybe it was wrought iron. I read somewhere to cut it almost in half, then bend it the rest of the way and if wrought the remainder would almost splinter.

I doesn't look splintered to me, but before writing it off I thought I would ask some of you to look at it and tell me what you think.

Thank you.

Ed

Wrought_1.JPG

Wrought_2.JPG

Wrought_3.JPG

I have some that looks like that, and after forging its not working like wrought at all. Most fences got repaired with mild and you'll find a mixture of it. If you need some wrought and don't mind large chunks, you can get the anchor chain, but its too clean for a pattern to stand out.

Edited by Steven Gillespie

I did a spark test, attached are photos of the results. I'm leaning towards mild steel from the photos I could find on the web, but it is just a guess. Wadda ya think ?

Ed,

I see that type of break when cutting some large anchor chain...it is really clean stuff....if it were not wrought iron it should break cleanly with a crystallin structure visible at the break. So I call it wrought and use it as an ingredient or for welding layers. I don't know if you are on the West coast or not, but I have had my eye on that fence for a long time ( I better go see if it is gone). Good luck with your find.

Jan

I will do both grind and etch, as well as forge a piece flat and have a look. Post my results in a few days.

Jan, that's encouraging, guess i'll know more after more tests. Your fence is safe (from me at least) as i am on the Gulf coast. I remembered where there used to be a old house place that had a short wrought iron fence all the way around it. Was going to take the tractor and pull it all up, but wouldn't you know it, someone beat me too it.

Again, Thank you to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I forged the material down, ground it smooth and etched it in Ferric. It showed no pattern at all, so it must be extremely clean wrought or simply mild steel. I'm going with mild steel.

Thank you all for your input.

• 2 weeks later...