• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
John Page

Sources for Flatter Hammers?

At Ashokan, I fell in love with a flatter hammer someone had, and have been wanting to get one of my own.

p2201-60.gif

However, I had absolutely no idea what it was called until a few minutes ago when I stumbled across one (thought it might be a polishing hammer, finishing hammer, farrier's hammer..). The only problem is, they are way more expensive than I thought. The only source I can find sells them for $130 and $170 at hammersource.

Are there any other sources around that sell them? I saw an old thread where Scott Roush was selling one by a custom maker, but he does not seem to produce them any longer.

Thanks

John

Yeah they are pretty expensive. You're much better off buying old ones and fixing them up than buying new, but they can be very hard to find. Look around at flea markets, and ask some local blacksmiths would be my advice. Blacksmith Depot has a few flatters including a tiny one 1 3/8" square that Grant made. Blacksmiths Depot

Thanks for the link, Nate. Didn't see them the first time around blacksmith's depot, I'm not sure why they hide the good stuff :lol: Shame the one made by Grant is as small as it is, I would be proud to own one of the tools he made.

John

Hi John,

just want to make sure that you know that a flatter is set-tool ie placed on the work and struck with sledge, not swung by the smith.

$170 is an outrageous price- definately shop around a bit...

good luck !

get a cheap dubble sledge anneal it then weld on a piece of thick plate to the size u want bango flatter :D

Edited by dragoncutlery

Gerald, PM sent.

Josh, yep, that's how I was using it ;)

Brandon, I might give that a try, but unfortunately my welding skills are nowhere near where I would like them to be. I know a few people in the area though who might be more proficient. That would certainly be much cheaper!

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen,

John

I don't have their current catalog but you might give Centaur Forge a try. The a general supplier of blacksmithing tools and material. The only other thing is to keep an eye out on Ebay or other auction sites. Most of the sellers have no idea what they are and call them hammers. I got mine from Old World Anvils. It was an old Army surplus tool used to shoe mules during WWII and is kind of small, but I think that they're probably out of them by now. They do list set hammers under custom tools available and they're not much different from a flatter. I'm sure they'd make a flatter too. You could drop them a line and ask for a quote on price.

Doug

Josh, always better safe than sorry :)

That's an excellent source, I'll look through what they have, and not just hammers. If shipping ins reasonable, this might be a goldmine.

Thanks!

John

they are a complete suppliers, very good company to deal with , friendly and professional.

just look out for their accent on the phone! the west midlands is a famous area in the uk for having a strong regional voice.

Doug,

Most of the results I got when searching for flatter hammers were actually ebay. Sadly, they were all either in terrible condition (unusable) or were in the midst of bidding wars quickly reaching the 'too much to pay for a hammer' price. I'll definitely keep my eye out, though. I'm always amazed by what people find at auctions and the like.

John

Consider checking with Brent Bailey or possibly Brian Brazael if you want the best quality, traditionally made, single piece flatters. You'll have to email Brent for pricing, and they won't be as cheap as welding a plate to a hammer, but bear in mind that he makes heirloom quality tools that'll last a lifetime.

Forging a real flatter is very hard work if you do in the traditional way of upsetting the face from smaller stock, or requires a large press or hammer if tapered down from larger stock. Otherwise they'd have to be cast or machined.

I have no idea how well a welded on face flatter works, maybe fine, but unless it's forge welded I would question the uniformity of energy transferrence. Probably it's irrelevant, but a flatter, and top fuller, are my two most used top tools, and the flatter has to take more abuse of the two, so I want it to be perfect, and durable. I've got enough regular tool maintenence to deal with.

I'll second Brent Bailey for really great hammers and tooling. Mark Aspery uses Brent's hammers. My main forging hammer is a Brent Bailey cross pein.

http://brentbaileyforge.com/

Forging a real flatter is very hard work if you do in the traditional way of upsetting the face from smaller stock,

Well, some of us just like to do things the hard way :-)

I believe Brent Bailey made the one Scott sold a few years back, and unfortunately, his work isn't quite in the budget at this point. Looking through his site is incredible. Those are some fine looking tools. I'll certainly keep him in mind for when I can afford a few. Thank you both for the great recommendation.

John

During the initial search for flatters, most of the results were actually from ebay, and sadly most were either overpriced or severely damaged to the point where they are unusable. I'll definitely keep an eye out, though.

John

Just for grins and giggles with an eye for maybe needing(?) a larger flatter it took a look for one. The best price that I found for a new one was $117 at Centaur Forge. That's something to take into consideration when pricing things on a auction site.

Doug