owen bush

Serpent in the sword.

Owen, I wonder whether you are talking about a serpent formed by manipulating the twist, as I believe you have done before, or by scalloping bars (can't think of a better word), as with a tooth-ed seax, or by iron/steel inlay?

If it is the latter, then the "Vehmaa" sword, I believe in the Nat Mus. in Helsinki, is a famous example, and appears in Ian Pierce's book.

It's my feeling that inlay represents a more broadly viable way of serpenting your sword, if regular pattern welding isn't enough serpent already.

Kevin Cashen and I talked about this maybe 10 years ago...could indeed be a non-etched pattern-weld where condensate shows the contrast.

Ric

Davidson, H.E. 1962, The Sword in Anglo Saxon England, Boydel, p. 166

I was looking through my pictures from the Danish National Museum in Copenhagen and remembered this thread. It's not the most pronounced serpentine core but I figured I would post it.

PA280351.JPG

I can see a serpent in there.

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Ben, I was trying to delete the second of the double post and the picture went away, sorry! :wacko: Can you re-post it, please?

sure, sorry about the double post!

PA280351.JPG

This is going to sound rather cliche, but i would assume that to get the wobbles without grinding would be to bevel side section out and then flatten the bevel back into the bar stock as a method of drawing it instead of pounding it inwards and then hitting the mushrooms flat. you wouldnt see this so much with a power hammer but hand hammering it out creates a somewhat similar effect.