• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Geoff Keyes

Makers marks

88 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that as a resource for current makers and for collectors that a pinned catalog of known makers marks (with pics) would be useful. Anyone else.

Geoff

I like the idea. Mine is a stick-figure raven. I almost always do mine in wood, or in soft metals, rarely in the steel on the blade. This picture is pretty bad, but you get the idea.

Maker\'s Mark.jpg

-Dan

I have a stamp, just "CARNECCHIA" in block letters but I haven't been able to get a clean strike on it yet. It always comes out uneven/unreadable and I wind up grinding it out. I tried making a jig/holder but it didn't help much. I know they make a press/holder for this purpose but it is fairly expensive. Does any one have any suggestions? -Justin

Two things that I've used with some success. One is a cheap arbor press. Build a holder for your stamp that fits the end of the post. Then you can position it where you want and smack the post with a hammer. So long as you hold onto everything, you can get multiple hits if you need them.

The second is a small jack press in a frame.

The problem I have with both of them is this. If you hot stamp, then you have a big depressed area with the stamp in it, and I don't like the look. If you cold stamp (after finishing, say) then you risk bending the blade and marking up both sides, which then have to be fixed.

Geoff

Not a bad idea at all. When I have time it can be its own stand-alone subforum. I see the main "show us your mark" thread and another for mystery marks in need of identification.

Thanks, Geoff!

Here's mine...I designed it to be a monogram, representing my initials (OM). A whole bunch of people, including my wife, have told me it looks like a bat, though... :lol:/>

DSCI0008.jpg

]

rope--navaja--touchmark026571x640.jpg

My stamp is really simple. If I remember correctly its a germanic rune for "P". I just think its a cool symbol.

And I can electroetch it also.

Edited by Pete Dirksen

Here is my new mark. Before this one I had just chiseled my initials but it was ugly so I stopped.

SWINKMAKERSMARK.jpg

Here's my mark. The only picture I have of it is it hiding in some knotwork, since I haven't used it on any metals yet. It's the tvimadur symbol/bindrune. I thought it was a fitting way of incorporating my initials (MM).

IMG_5583.JPG

Edited by Myles Mulkey

Here's mine, a JP. In this case over a mammen style dragon, sometimes I add it in runes as well depending on the piece.

1pw34.jpg

Edited by Jake Powning
1 person likes this

Still waiting on my stamp :angry:/>

Here it is on my boot B)/>

DSCN0228a.jpg

Here's mine. Eventually I'd like to get a logo to go with EagleEyeForge, and have a stamp made, but for now I'm sticking with a 3 line S chiseled in by hand, it's worked good everytime so long as I remember the difference in S and Z :o (Yeah, I've done it).

DSC07920.jpg

I've been thinking about a maker's mark for a few years now. Oriental theme, scroll, or just my initials, geometric shapes. I just can't make up my mind. My goal this year is to come up with a mark and hopefully in the next month. Jesse

profile_picture_by_thesacredlionsmith-d5

Heres mine, it would be placed on the handle or tang of the item to be marked, and where convinient my name and year of creation would be placed on the ricasso or tang/handle. I was always intrested in having a more ystic theme for my forge.

Edited by Jarrod 'Jay'

This is the makers Mark I came up with this summer. It is my initials, and pays tribute to my heritage. I "borrowed" the Ukrainian national symbol, since my great grandfather was a Cossack from Zaporizia, Ukraine (as far as we've been able to trace). There is a lot of history behind the symbol, and it brought a lot of perspective to my family's history, while researching it.

drawing-1.jpg

Here is my new logo design ordering the stencils tonight.

625661_565665523457998_129820613_n.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor