• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Geoff Keyes

Makers marks

96 posts in this topic

I have two different marks, both are etched in the ricasso area. They are not as imaginative as those shown before, but they are my initials in an oval or my last name.

JCS-opt.jpg

States-opt.jpg

Both come in large or small sizes depending on the knife.

I have tried for the last few years to find a stamp maker that will return an email or phone call. Do any of you have an suggestions?

Here is my "Union Forge" stamp.

uf001.jpg

uf00.jpg

Not necessarily a mark for steel...

My oldest son (he's 9) wanted to start a side business to earn some extra money. For several years, we've made wooden training knives for people we take martial arts with. These all bore the lightening bolt from my "Storms Forge" logo (as opposed to the logo I put on steel work, the lightening bolt and forge).

He wanted to call our new venture "Woodsmiths," which I thought was a great idea. So here is the Woodsmiths logo (which will be on anything we make from wood: atlatls, escrima batons, bokken, and the like) It's just a W with a few add-ons:

Woodsmiths%20logo%20final-FB_zpsx7smwmxy

I have tried for the last few years to find a stamp maker that will return an email or phone call. Do any of you have an suggestions?

Possibly carve it into the end of some good steel with a dremel? Or perhaps a trophy engraver's shop could point you in the right direction?

The crescent moon "DM" logo is what I'm using for all the Lunar Eclipse Forge stuff. And the "Musou" kanji is for my Japanese kitchen knives.

DMLogoDraft14.png

MusouRed.png

Heres mine, Long time doberman pinscher owner, best breed ever... and now my shop mascot--

13492825_10153479430200146_1140203472_n.jpg

1 person likes this

My mark in the futhark runes of my forges name, H.O.M (Hand Of Man) Forgeworks. Thinking of changing it to the Ogham line runes.

Edited by William Gray

IMG_0294.JPG

Shorthand for my last name, C4D- which is how my music students wrote it before I quit teaching.

Salem Straub, Promethean Knives:

I use a torch in a clean circle on pattern weld and san mai

13880292_1088163401259735_72030720065662

And an oval mark, with my name and company for monosteel and some older pattern weld work.

182086_383192671755804_2146200290_n.jpg?

Quoting a stamp as we speak. Just got the finished artwork back from the designer. Photo attached.

OuroborosBladesC.jpg

IMG_20161011_171139_zpsc3wchsgi.jpgPicture is fuzzy, but here's mine. It's a simple CM for my initials as I make mainly 18th century blades. I just engrave this into an annealed punch then harden and temper. If your making one remember to make the engraving backwards- learned that one the hard way.

Here's my mark for Appleseed Sharpening Custom Blades. My initials inside an apple:

a2JiwLq.jpg

Edited by Jason McEntee
1 person likes this

First go at a mark. Stylized JC to provide some searchability and avoid stepping on J. R. Cook's toes.

IMG_20170707_150734_728.jpg

Scott Joram Sweder  Tilaru Metalsmithing

I have used two logos this first is what I call the Tilaru man a doodle in college that turned into a series of projects.

The second is a Celtic tree of life with the tilaru man in the middle

logo.gif

logo New Small.png

This is my "Rougemont Forge" touchmark. The shape was inspired by the angular nature of runes, and It just happened to fit well into an equilateral triangle.

MZiEPQs.png?1

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Wesley Alberson said:

This is my "Rougemont Forge" touchmark. The shape was inspired by the angular nature of runes, and It just happened to fit well into an equilateral triangle.

Will you apply this with Apex up or down? 

49 minutes ago, Chris C-S said:

Will you apply this with Apex up or down? 

Either I will orient it as you see in the picture onto the side of the knife, or I will rotate it clockwise so the base of the triangle is parallel to the edge of the blade. It is easier to read as is, but it would look like a cool minimalist shape if rotated counter clockwise.

1 person likes this

Yeah my head was looking at it rotated c-clockwise so the R is on the angle and the F is Nearly right way up. Get some scrap and play around with it. 

47 minutes ago, Chris C-S said:

Yeah my head was looking at it rotated c-clockwise so the R is on the angle and the F is Nearly right way up. Get some scrap and play around with it. 

Actually I was thinking of getting it laser engraved at Buckeye Engraving or a company like it. I want it to be about 3/8", and I don't have that kind of precision tooling. Also, the design looks a bit like the triforce symbol from a game called Legend of Zelda, but it's distinguishable from that.

I think it looks great! And from a glance, it looks a bit like a triforce, but for those that play Legend of Zelda (I did years ago) it's really easy to tell apart. And nifty design

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor