Geoff Keyes

Makers marks

After a few false starts and patterns I finally finished my mark! Thought it was appropriate since I make mostly hunting/outdoor-type knives.

MakersMark.jpg

• Like 1

This is my mark .....an L and a J ......and sometimes I put in a groove depending on the type of knife 

A8CDEAF2-4FA9-4357-B756-0721ACA22E90.jpeg65F1FA1F-71E0-4AE0-9835-838BE217B0EA.jpegD860D163-4987-4C74-8816-A5A363D9235C.jpeg

Just finished making my mark, it is a monkeys foot. I don’t have my forge set up right now so I can’t test it on steel yet.DD06C5C0-DF07-4542-A9D1-FDC8241BDEFA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I chose to go with a nameas opposed to a glyph on reasonable advice about customers preference.20180404_161747-1224x1632.jpg

Edited by Vern Wimmer

This has been a struggle for me, the majority of my 30 knives went out unmarked.

I would prefer to etch myself, but couldn't find anybody that makes the little masks.

Also had another (better?) idea for a name, but Gerhard Gerber Knives will have to do.....

After a false start I found a small company that does fine work with a laser, this is what I settled on:

ggmakers mark.JPG

I got mine when starting out from Ernie.

Haven't used it much since I started engraving mine. His are a very good product. I would recommend him to whoever wants to etch their own...

The first photo is etched using his mark.

The second is engraved using an electric CNC engraving tool.

www.erniesknives.com/knifemaker_stencil.htm

2015-07-01_23.35.13.jpg

20180430_023137.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:41 AM, Gerhard said:

This has been a struggle for me, the majority of my 30 knives went out unmarked.

I would prefer to etch myself, but couldn't find anybody that makes the little masks.

Also had another (better?) idea for a name, but Gerhard Gerber Knives will have to do.....

After a false start I found a small company that does fine work with a laser, this is what I settled on:

ggmakers mark.JPG

By "little masks", do you mean stencils? If so, sign shops can make them.

Stencils for etching.

Blue Lightning custom stencils

C/O Ernie www.erniesknives.com

Shrpknife@aol.com

1-407-568-5438

18440 Amityville Dr

Orlando, Florida, 32820

Great to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked out Ernie's site, will make a plan as soon as I have a way to make (and receive) international payments.

heres mine. the only thing i want to do is put my name on the other side of the blade, so it has a recognizable logo, but also a name to go with it. my only thing is i dont like big script on a blade, so finding a stencil small enough is pretty damn hard.

20180806_173518[1].jpg