Sign in to follow this  
Steve R

First finished knife

Hi folks. Been away from the forum and smithing for a while, but have recently been getting back into it. Though I've made a few simple blades for my own use and experimentation, I'd never really finished a knife with a proper handle and polish before this. The steel is W1 and the scales are rosewood with brass pins. I must apologize for the crappy photos, I'll figure out how to do better some day. Cheers!

PB151071 (Small).jpg

PB151065 (Small).jpg

PB151066 (Small).jpg

Good news and bad news here, Steve. The good new is the blade looks a lot better than most efforts on a double edged knife. They are not easy to do and it shows you have some skill. The bad news is that he handle is a little rough. From the picture I'm not sure how I'd try to fix it or if I would just try to do better with the next one. If you could improve on the handle and do as well again on the blade, hamon included, you would have an outstanding knife. Really not all that bad but it needs to be better.

Doug

Thanks for the feedback, Doug. I know I definitely need to work on my fit and finish. Here's a couple closer pics of the handle, perhaps you could point out the issues as you see them? One that I know bugs me is that the end doesn't line up with the end of the tang perfectly, but I didn't want to mess with the proportions as it's already close to the limit on handle length. Cheers.

PB151082 (Small).jpg

PB151090 (Small).jpg

Sweet hamon! Great job. I agree with Doug that the handle profile could be a little more graceful, but a fine effort for a first knife nonetheless.

It looks like a trade knife, with japanese influence, cut the handle back some and add a guard or something to clean the trasition from blade to handle and save your fingers in case you hand slides forward. When your cutting the thorns for tthe filework vine get your file as close to the drop of as possible, it gives you a sharp vine, I cut a little straight, then curve the file as I draw back.other than that, I like it. B)

Dunno. I think it's fine. A lot of "knife makers" today leave scale marks all over the blade(belts are expensive) and they get pawned off as "finished" and Stylish. I think it sux, like a nice car in primer. Why not rasp finished handles ? When you skin a pig they'd be far less slippery.................bringing up my next plan. All of my handles from now on will be checkered.Gun style.It's easy to do. I've done gun work for almost 40 years. Kinda sharp aint it ? (pun intended)

checkered.jpg

Yeah. Whoever own it is too cheap to buy hollow ground screwdriver bits and the idiot who blued it is clueless on how to deal with hardened steel(the reddish grip safety). Many a 94 Winchester was ruined by such ignorance.OTOH the grips are incredible !

Looks good, love the double edged blade w/ hamon. My first couple knives I had some issues with the handles. I would forge the blade and the handle would kinda be an after thought. What I did that has helped is I have started drawing my knives before I forge them. This way you have to think out the knife as a whole. If it doesn't look right on paper it won't in steel, but if the drawing looks right and you stick to it you're knife is going to look right. Among other things it is a lot faster to draw a knife than make one, so you can go through multiple designs, figuring out what you want.

To clarify, when I say draw I mean a full sized "blue print" of the finished knife. Then you can compare back to the picture as you work.

Again though nice work, a lot better than my first attempts. -Justin

Thanks for the comments, all. Justin, you nailed when you mentioned doing the blade then adding a handle as an afterthought. Though I had ideas about the handle, I definitely didn't plan it out ahead of time like I should have. Live and learn (hopefully).

Here's another one I'm working on with a similar rosewood handle. Still needs to be polished and I'm thinking it needs a bolster of some kind, though I can't quite decide what to do. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

P9130851 (Small).JPG

P9130862 (Small).JPG