Birthday Seax

Anthony C

Hello again everyone! I haven't been while since I worked on anything or even posted here for that matter. I finally made it out to the shop to make my brothers 40th birthday present. So here it is. This was a fun project for me, a whole lot of firsts like forging bronze for the spacers/gaurd/ pommel, carving antler, trying to achive a patina on copper,and tooling leather. My brother wanted me to make him a broken back seax for the last 3 years so I figured now is the right time to get it done. The sheath took longer to make than the seax, I think I got the hang of leather tooling near the end. I would make another sheath but his birthday is in 2 days. I need to get some better pictures of this but these are the best I have for now. It is not perfect to my eyes but overall I am happy with it.

Blade- 1084/15n20 unknow layers,(made the stack last year) 8" long 5/16" thick at the spine.

Handle- Macassar ebony, bronze, and antler

Let me know what you guys think, any and all suggestions are welcomed. I am anxious to start the next one. Thanks for looking!

jason seax.jpg

jason seax2.jpg

jasons seax3.jpg

Edited by Anthony C

"Work is the curse of the drinking class...." (Wilde)

Looks great, Anthony. I never would have known this was your first time tooling leather. The copper and bronze work is also very well done. The only thing I can suggest is that perhaps the belt loops could be spaced farther apart. From my understanding (which could be totally wrong, of course) is that it would be worn hanging parallel to a belt or the like. With the loops close together, it would tend to drop near the tip. Nothing major, just an observation.

I'll be watching for #2 B)

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

This is fantastic work. as John said, as your first time tooling leather it turned out great

Thats really cool, how did you get the patina on the copper? it looks great.

Geoff

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

This will be a great birthday for him! I especially like the twisted rings and the look of the copper.

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

Looks great, Anthony. I never would have known this was your first time tooling leather. The copper and bronze work is also very well done. The only thing I can suggest is that perhaps the belt loops could be spaced farther apart. From my understanding (which could be totally wrong, of course) is that it would be worn hanging parallel to a belt or the like. With the loops close together, it would tend to drop near the tip. Nothing major, just an observation.

I'll be watching for #2 B)/>/>

John

I toyed with the idea of making the loops farther apart but just kept coming back to a sketch that I did similar to this one. The ebony and bronze in the handle weigh enough to hold the blade sheathed at slight angle that is comfortable. The next one I do will be farther apart and much more parallel. I looked at as many as I could find to gain inspiration and took some artistic freedom with it.

Hey Geoff, I did the patina on the bronze and copper with that pleasently fragrant Liver of Sulphur, then hand buffed it rouge on a cotton cloth.

Edited by Anthony C

"Work is the curse of the drinking class...." (Wilde)