Adequate to the Task

Lee Sauder

I've been working off and on on a series of experiments on using phosphoric bloom iron in blades. This has been a slow process, since I've been having to acquire the bladesmithing skills as I go!

It seems to me that the basic definition of whether a blade is useful is whether it will field dress, skin, and butcher a deer. This one passed with flying colors.

buck knife-1.jpg

PW2 (2).jpg

PW2 (1).jpg

The blade is a composite of two kinds of phosphoric iron- high phosphorus, low carbon iron that is too brittle to work-harden, and medium-phosphorus, low carbon iron that will work harden. I found that when I combine the two, the result will work-harden and functions better than either material alone.

I had to touch it on a stone often as I worked up the deer, but that's true of all the steel knives I have, too. The knife actually excelled at the skinning, I don't know if that was a serendipitous result of the design or that character of the iron, or both.

Very cool. that is my favourite way to test a knife, As Mike said it is a great feeling to be able to use your knife for dressing an animal you harvested.

Edited by Luke_Sorensen

And that is how it was done; as they used to say. The best barometer of a blade is it's performance since first and foremost it's a tool.

Very well done that is a beauty. It's nice to see you get some more payback for all the research and testing you have done. Thanks for helping the rest of us along.

Denis

Very cool Lee. Does phosphoric iron work harden "better" than non phosphoric iron?

Zeb

Yes, Zeb, much harder.

Thanks for the kind words, folks, I know I'm a duffer at this knife game so thanks for the encouragement.

I'm actually butchering this deer today with this knife, I've been at it a couple of hours, and it's actually my favorite blade ever for this job! I usually switch between several knives during the course of working one up, but I feel no need to this time.

I'm working on a writeup of the experiments. Still need to shoot and work up one more deer to complete the series!