Wood carving knives

Christopher Price

Made these last night for my daughter and I, we're starting with a local wood-carver's club and needed tools. I'll be damned if I'm spending $70 or more on a set like this, when I could sketch the ones in the store and go make them for 2 or 3 hours of my time with stuff I already have in the shop.

Handles are olive, steel is 15N20, hardened in hot oil.

DSCF0257-XL.jpg

The little one, I don't know what to call it, but the others are all copied off the flexcut system - the 2nd here is the "detail knife"...

DSCF0258-XL.jpg

Then there's the Chip Cut and the Roughing knives...

DSCF0259-XL.jpg

Got my daughter one of the kevlar gloves and leather thumb protectors so she doesn't slice off anything important, these buggers are surgical sharp. :deal

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

look like good tools. Did you file or grind those little blades to shape? What about the bevels? I can see some grinder marks, but things that small seem like they beg for filing. Just a feeling, I guess.

Hopefully she will appreciate them all the more because you made them.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Those big ugly marks are from the angle grinder cutting out my blanks from sheet 15n20... just didn't feel like working down to the bottom of them for personal use tools.

The bevels were set on the flat side of my 8 inch stone grinder, then finished out on 400 grit, then 1000 grit belts. Buffed sharp.

The Tidewater Forge

Those look like they should do the job nicely. I have been meaning to make a set for myself like that. How did you fit the tangs?

"Work is the curse of the drinking class...." (Wilde)

1/8" drill bit, 3 holes and drill out the insides, and just fill with epoxy.

These aren't pretty, they're functional and fast. The handle shaping is very basic, barrel-shaped up front, thinner at the rear, with a mild drop at the back and a very small concave under the front. Takes all of 3 minutes at the grinder, another 3 to smooth it all out.

The Tidewater Forge