My first REAL knives... hard work indeed

Yep.. i finally popped my ... whatever its called when you make the first REAL knife....

i went home to my village for a quick work on friday and a well deserved " rest" on Saturday.. aka.. forge time..

Popped by the autoshop and acquired a coiled spring, annealed it overnight ffriday to saturday.. and hammered away all day saturday...

Learnings...

- my tongs are WAY too big and WAY oversized, and WAY... just wrong...

- Forging the good steel is FAR more work than i thought... last time i hammered flat low-carbon steel.. this time it was the real deal ...

- Leave your steel in too long in coke fire on full last and youll experience wha ta BLAST FURNACE mean .. i melted 3 of my "intened to be" knives...

- hard work... gives great reward...

- and lastly... dont forget to have enough sand paper of the grits you need... running out of 400 and 600, thus having to go from 250 to 1200 .. sucks...

390309_10152396273375727_1993746133_n.jpg

My forge setup.. primitive.. way too long.. imbalanced.. but it worked....

546883_10152396449700727_1239037681_n.jpg

A few hours of work and the car spring piece atleast have a knifey shape....

485016_10152396598370727_915211797_n.jpg

The end-of-day result.. and no.. its not patternwelded.. its a combination of cellphone camera, bad flash and not very good grind :P/>

532273_10152396959465727_10436792_n.jpg

.. and .. the haul of the weekend... 31 pounds of antlers... in the left corner, you see the aroudn 100 year old grey antlers... going to Petr (Gullinbursti) .. the rest is for me and for bartering in the viking guild :D/>

All in all a not too shabby weekend i'd say...

Edited by vihalvor

Congratulations! Now make them shiny with handles on them... ;):lol:

You're truly hooked now, plus that's a nifty-looking anvil. Never seen one with steps on both ends of the face.

Congratulations! Now make them shiny with handles on them... ;)/> :lol:/>

You're truly hooked now, plus that's a nifty-looking anvil. Never seen one with steps on both ends of the face.

Thanks Alan.. about the anvil.. yeah... i know its.. special.. theres absolutely NO identification marks on it.. none... and.. i havent found anyone like it.. the round horn is actually OVAL, not fully round ....

and its definately not an ASO ...:P no cast marks anywhere....

Yeah, I'm with everyone else here. that anvil is VERY unusual. is there a ballpark on it's date?

And very nice profile on those blades so far.

Yeah, I'm with everyone else here. that anvil is VERY unusual. is there a ballpark on it's date?

And very nice profile on those blades so far.

Hi Freya .. all i know is that it was bought some 50 years ago. . maybe 60, in Norway.. but from whom ? .. i have NO clue.....

Im quite happy with it thou.. heheh

• 1 month later...

So .. xmas is over.. my brother gave me 20 kg of charcoal and a leftover 45lbd coiled spring from the sone quarry wher ehe works .. probably the most useful gift i got all xmas :P/>

So .. better get to work....

4 days, a few mistakes and half a carpal tunnel syndrome later.. THIS is what i came out with.. still rough in the shape but a good place for further work....( 0,5 L cola bottle for good measure)

photo.jpg

Critique appreciated...( and yes.. the tang is FAR too large.. will shorten it significantly...

Edited by vihalvor

So .. xmas is over.. my brother gave me 20 kg of charcoal and a leftover 45lbd coiled spring from the sone quarry wher ehe works .. probably the most useful gift i got all xmas :P/>/>

So .. better get to work....

4 days, a few mistakes and half a carpal tunnel syndrome later.. THIS is what i came out with.. still rough in the shape but a good place for further work....( 0,5 L cola bottle for good measure)

photo.jpg

Critique appreciated...( and yes.. the tang is FAR too large.. will shorten it significantly...

It is not really to long if you are going for a seax .

I like it!

If

Geoff

Ps if you are going to peen it make sure that tang is soft (trust me ) you will know what I mean if you don't.

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.