watch for cracks!

Steven Gillespie

I had 2 bars of W2 in 3/8"x1", from aldo, both surfaced cracks during forging, one only had a foot that was clean enough to make a small blade from. I though I may have forged too cold, so I chopped it off and watched my temps, but with the same problem, it was on a long blade, so I chucked that bar aside and tried the other I had sitting aside, with the same problem no matter what the heat, one split was about 3 inches long, I emailed aldo about this problem, and he kindly told me he would be sending me new bars as a replacement. This is just a warning to watch out for splits and fractures. Both were mill rolled bars, so It seems to be a mill defect in that section.

Glad to hear Aldo stands by his product. Not many folks do these day. Another good vendor I also deal with is supergrit, there prices had changed and the website had not been updated. I need an order quickly, so I order over the phone. They honored the lower web prices and the order arrived today.

Great to know our industry has great vendors available to us.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

Sometimes that is going to happen with any distributor. I go a bar of 1095 once, not from Aldo, that hand an inclusion running through it that wasn't noticeable until it was ground. It wasn't where it would have been the result of folding over the edge of a gutter from trying to upset the bar.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Well those were things that were hidden from the smelter and from Aldo when he shipped the bars. I'd still drop a line to let him know. He can't fix things if he doesn't know they are broken.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

So you all know! I believe the cracking may be do to the processing of the bar. Not the steel itself.We are bringing in a water jet in January. We will be cutting all of our bar in house in the future. We feel there will be a lot less stress in the material. Until then we will be plate saw cutting everything. The suite next to our shop will be available to us in March. We are hoping to have all of our stock in house as well. Steve, we will be cutting the bar today and have it out to you on Monday. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Aldo

Edited by Aldo

Aldo, not a problem. Im glad to see that you stand behind your product quality. I received the shipping number. I'm looking forward for the steel to arrive and will be ordering some irmore after the holidays.

I would like to see photos of these cracks you found.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

I would like to see photos of these cracks you found.

Ill see if I can get them, I only have a phone camera.

I got the photos, one is hard to see, but I circled the splits so its easier to see. The small piece was the worst but the others were hairlines and other small splits that couldn't be caught on my camera. I got the ones I could though. Once again thank you aldo, you replaced the bars, even though I never mentioned a replacement or compensation, just letting you know of the cracks.

IMG_20121202_145729.jpgIMG_20121202_145758.jpgIMG_20121202_145626.jpgIMG_20121202_145703.jpg

Edited by Steven Gillespie