Playing with fire or cheap ways to start them

dennis mcadams

I finally had a chance to get to my home-made fire starter test last night. I had initially done a test with cotton make-up remover pads that I poured paraffin wax over which by the way once hardened made something very chip-like and easy to handle and store. Next came paper egg crates stuffed with dryer lint, dryer sheets, and cotton balls, individually . Once you pour the wax or melted petroleum jelly over the wells and they set you can easily cut them apart for individual use. They all performed very well as did the plain cotton ball with the melted petroleum jelly which will burn for more than 5 minutes! Those are easy to make and throw a few into a baggie for your next backpacking trip. I may get a short video up soon to show them in action. In summary for a few cents a piece you can have a nice easy to start fire any time you want plus if you have a stubborn fire it won't hurt the bankbook to throw extras on.

Let 'er burn,

Denis

Rolls of corrugated cardboard rolled up into paper towel or TP tubes soaked in paraffin also work really well. I always take several of them when I hike for emergency fire starters. They also work well in my Kelly kettle. I have some with a sparkler and small canister of rifle powder for windy starts.

Forum link

I use Dixie cups filled with wood shaving and then parafin to start fires in my wood stove.

Lots of good ideas and I love reading about new ones.

One small cardboard paraffin roll will boil a liter of water in my Kelly kettle in 5-7 minutes.

IMG_0303.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

How about a candle? Or a baggie of candle ends? I like the dixe cup and wood shavings, I've used that one myself. Sawdust and wax or oil (though the oil is messy).

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Ha ha. I just use a map gas torch to start my woodstove, no kindling required. B)/>

I have found that MAP gas torch is a wonder. Bit heavy to carry around though. But on my smoker, coal forge, fireplace, etc. it can't be beat.

However, I am inspired by the kindling cups that were mentioned. I need to try some of them out.

Pocket lint, or dryer lint works really well, and starts from just a spark...

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Mr. MAPP with the trigger start is always handy.

But note, although MAPP works well for cigs or cigars, it's kinda rough on pipes.

But note, although MAPP works well for cigs or cigars, it's kinda rough on pipes.

That is true. :lol: Not kind to facial hair either...

I start my coal stove with a 500,000 BTU weed burner torch. Some may think that's a bit excessive, but it gets it going in five minutes or less with no wait for kindling or fiddling with newspaper, etc. Plus it blows the soot out of the chimney at the same time! B)

This works out pretty good for me to start my forge. Also a bit excessive but no facial hair issues to date.

I can also do a pipe lighting demo with a BB in the bowl.

inductionforgeswitch_zpsb23cec33.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

The BB would get red hot but the rest of the pipe assuming there wasn't any metal would stay room temp. You could also use a 1' rod touching into the tobacco. like an inductive match. There endless weird/cool things to do with induction.