Finally pictures of my Basket Hilt Claymore

dennis mcadams

For those of you who got a preview of this at Bowie's in September and others here is the finished sword. I took the advice of a friend and

went with a old patina formula to darken the blade knowing that the scabbard and use would rub it off in places. So here are the spec's:

Blade W-2, 1.5 inches wide, fuller-ed on both sides;

Bronze hilt made from 4mm plate with steel rivets;

Handle wood core with twist silver wire covered with leather

OAL 35 inches; blade length 28 inches

COP 10.75 inches from tip.

Thanks to all those who have helped me with advice, inspiration, and encouragement.

Sláinte

Denis

DSC_0237b.jpg

DSC_0239b.jpg

DSC_0249b.jpg

DSC_0251b.jpg

DSC_0069b.jpg

Awesome should cover it. Make sure you bring that to Bowie's next year if you come I would love to hold that one. Great job!!!

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ www.thekaisercustomknives.com

claymores very well may be my favorite swords and this one is just perfect. I love the gritty yet elegant look of it. like a well preserved family heirloom that has actually protected the family.

Thanks for sharing,

Benjamin

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising

I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.

To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

J.R.R Tolkien

Me three!! It was wonderful to hold, and behold.

Congrats Dennis. Very well done.

That patina on the blade is awesome!!

Mark

Edited by Mark Green

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Thanks for all the kind words. In this company of forumites the bar is set very high indeed. Those of us still in the wannabe place must work hard to

make the gains needed to grow to the level of the even younger master craftsmen. I have a couple of things in the design/planning phase that may

prove to move me along the path.

Denis

Very, very nice. The whole package just looks great.

Is the scabbard leather over wood or just leather?

The scabbard is 2 to 3 ounce vegetable tanned leather over poplar wood. I used thinner leather to make it easier for the risers to show since they and the triskele are twisted wire placed over the wood. I will look for a photo showing this.

• 5 weeks later...

The whole package is wonderful. Extraordinary work. Congratulations.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

Very nice, indeed! Everything about it just fits so well together.

Out of curiosity, how did you patinate the blade? I love the look, and I would be interested to give it a try.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

A beautiful blade, functional and comfortable. You could take it into battle confidant that it would not betray you, that it would come to your hand when needed, and move as you wanted.

You can tell a lot about a sword-smith by the blade he chooses to carry. ^_^

"Your gun will run out of bullets before my knife runs out of sharp" Terry Pratchett

So I finally got around to re-making the chape the first one was done in a bit of a rush in design/execution and it showed. My apologies to all those who had to see that. Here is the one I'm happy with. I also got brave enough to put it on the good old triple beam scale and it comes in at 2.923 pounds. While a little on the heavy side I know most of the excess weight is from using thick bronze for the basket, a mistake I won't repeat. Thanks for all the kind words. I assure you that I could not have made a first effort at a sword without a lot of advice and encouragement from all of you.

Denis

chape-front.jpg

chape-rear.jpg