As first seen in this topic.

post-510-13309670162927.jpg

post-510-13309670269472.jpg

post-510-13309670350125.jpg

post-510-13309670452914.jpg

post-510-13309810117126.jpg

post-510-13309810192623.jpg

post-510-13309810404735.jpg

The core of the blade is a bar of 5/8" round wrought iron from a wagon's steering yoke, the socket is some old wagon tire that was, as you can see, really gnarly. The edge is two bars of some old coil spring I've been using for years, and the twists are five layers each of wrought from the steering yoke and the same spring.

The socket iron was so nasty I decided on a seriously deep etch to bring out the full character. So, this is the result of six hours in ferric chloride. That was enough to selectively etch the weld line in the edge steel, which was an unintended but cool effect.

14" or 35cm overall, 2" / 5cm at its widest, 4" of socket at 1" diameter, max blade thickness about 1/4" / 5mm.

$350 plus shipping CONUS, shaft not included. ;)

Given that I've seen this one and several others Alan is offering (read giving away) and I'm close to undertaking one myself if you want a fine spearhead without spending 20 or 30 hours or more making one yourself here it is!! Someone recently asked Jesus H. if he figured up how much time he spends on a blade project the answer was a resounding no it's too depressing to realize you're getting minimum wage or less. Guys that's where Mr. Longmire is here. I wish I could help...

Alas we do this for the love of the craft but some bucks now and then are good too.

I'll spread the word.

Denis

Awesome work, Alan!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com