JoshuaRasmussen

Old electric kiln into a gas forge?

First of all, thank y'all for being so helpful on this forum and being willing to give your advice and experience for free.

Ok, so I have built one forge already, I can forge weld very small billets of pattern welded steel but not any large billets. I want to keep that forge as my main bladesmithing and blacksmithing forge. So I acquired an old electric kiln that didn't work from a professor at Stephen F. Austin University and I wanted to convert it into a gas forge. What I started off doing is I tore out all the electrical wiring and such. I plan on lining the inside with an extra two inches of kaowool and coating that with ITC-100. I will also put in some kiln shelf in the bottom so it will resist the flux. I calculated the interior volume taking into account the extra layers of kaowool and I found that the volume equaled 686 cubic inches. Now from what I understand, the rule of thumb is one 3/4 inch venturi burner for every 340-350 cubic inches of the forge. My dilemma is that I am using a 1" forced air burner. I have a squirrel cage hooked up to 2" pipe that reduces down to the 1" inch burner. I plan to cut two rectangular holes that are about 2x4 inches in the front and back and put the burner port in the bottom. With this setup, do you think I can reach forge welding temperatures? Thank you very much for y'alls time!

Sincerely,

Joshua Rasmussen

Joshua, welcome, first venturi burners don't use blowers. Next, is this a square interior or is it round? If square then i would put the burners in from the top or side NOT the bottom. Just my opinion .hope this helps good luck. Oh, show us some picts too it might help.

Fred

Mr. Crislip,

I understand that venturi burners do not use a blower. The reason why I mentioned them is because I was told that you needed one 3/4 inch venturi burner for every 350 cubic inches in order to reach forge welding temperatures. But I am using a forced air blower that has a 1" burner. So I don't know if the maximum size would change because the burner is larger and it is a forced air burner. Oh and the body is square, and I should have been more clear on the placement of the burner. It will be near the bottom but mounted to the side. Similar to Mr. Don Fogg's forge.

Joshua, please, call me Fred . We are pretty informal here. Sorry on the venturi/blower issue i missed the 1 inch blower part :wacko: I have an upright forge that i run a 2 inch blower style burner in ( 2 in. Pipe to a 1.5 in. Reducer bell as a flame holder) with about the same size volume as yours and it gets hot enough to melt steel if i dont watch it! How long is the inside of your chamber?

Fred

Can you increase the burner to a 1.5"? I run a single 1.5" forced air burner in my vertical forge which is about the same chamber size and have plenty of heat.

Fred,

I apologize. I am 17 years old and have been taught to be respectful. But I will do my best. The dimensions with out the kaowool factored in are 11"x11" and the height without the kiln shelf is around 14". But with the kaowool it would be 7"x7" and the same height. Oh and I just realized that I'm going from a 1 1/4 inch pipe down to a 1 inch pipe. My lowe's doesn't sell black iron pipe bigger than 1".

MSchneider,

Given the previous information I theoretically could, but that would just mean more money (which considering I'm a college student and trying to help support my family, I don't have alot of). :( I guess I could use galvanized pipe but toss the pipe into the fire next time we have one. But I'd be more inclined to just find a smaller forge body. Although I hope this old electric kiln would work because I could then also do some casting.

Josh

On a forced air setup 1" pipe is fine. Forced air is the brute force approach, it is rather forgiving on the details. That type of burner should have no problem getting your forge up to welding heat.

Wayne

On a forced air setup 1" pipe is fine. Forced air is the brute force approach, it is rather forgiving on the details. That type of burner should have no problem getting your forge up to welding heat.

Wayne

That's what I kind of figured. I read somewhere on one of the member's website that the size of the forge doesn't matter (to a certain extent) with a blown burner.

Josh