ITC-100 vs. Plisix

I use ITC-100 myself but I can't say it's better or worse, just that it works fine for me.

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions here read up and go with yer gut !!! ;)

I sell Plistix and Metrikote. I think that the main difference in Plistix and ITC-100 is that Plistix is $10.00 a pint and ITC-100 is $55.00 per pint.

The Metrikote is $15.00 a pint and I am told by my supplier (a builder of large kilns and furnaces) that they like the Metrikote and have quit using the Plistix because they think it lasts longer.

I have used all three but have not done a side by side comparison. I know that when I built a forge for one of my students that it cut the time to heat a 1" piece of square mild by 1/2. So go figure, heat it twice as fast, use half a much propane, work twice as hard, be twice as tired in the evening and drink twice as much beer.

• Like 1

ITC-100 does work better and I did notice a difference in chamber heat, from a orange to a yello at idle. The prices have gone up, so my largest forge isn't going to get another coating.Wayne Coe sells another alternative to ITC, I have no experience with it though.

Wayne beat me to it!

Edited by Steven Gillespie

Thanks for the information guys!

Wayne: haha. I'll do all that except for the beer. I'm only 17.... By the way, how do I order some of the Metrikote from you? I may be able to get some ITC-100 for free, but if not then I'd love to order the Metrikote from you.

Josh

click on the second link in Wayne's signature. And free ITC?? You are lucky..

The big difference between plistex and ITC-100 is that plistex is a refractory mortar while ITC is an infrared reflective top coat.

I'm sorry Wayne, but Plistix is not a refractory mortar and is an infrared reflective top coat, as is Metrikote.

• 8 years later...

Matthew, send me an e-mail for what you want.  I still sell Plistix and Metrikote. 

Oh, I just noticed that you have already e-mailed me this afternoon

Thank you.