Making the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man

Tom Maringer

I licensed back in 2003 with George R.R. Martin to make the coins for his fictional world. He calls his seven-novel series A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE and it begins with the book A GAME OF THRONES. Since HBO jumped on board and made a hit TV series out of it, the fantasy coins I have been making have suddenly become much more in-demand. I've been refining technique and set-ups. This one particular coin, the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man, is important in the story. So I'm making a bunch of them. Here's a couple videos of the process. Hope you like classic rock.

Have fun!

Tom

awesome! but in the videos we never really got a good look at what the coin actually looked like cause of the lamps glare. could you post a picture?

Benjamin

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising

I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.

To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

J.R.R Tolkien

Sorry... here you go.

facelessman01.jpg

facelessman02.jpg

These are images of coins from the 4th pressing. The first through 5th pressings all used the same original die set. Those pressings total 3,600 strikes. I have now created hubs from the master dies and hobbed a new pair of dies for the 6th pressing. I don't have pics of those yet as they are still bright and shiny off the press. I need to do the blueing and tumbling to "circulate" them. The obverse (face side) will be almost identical, with just the addition of a secret mark to clearly denote die#2 to those who know what to look for. The reverse side of the new one has been extensively reworked. The central enciphered VDVM symbol remains the same, but the entire inscription ring has been redone with a slight change in spelling and a more exotic looking typestyle.

Tom

I like the "faceless man" hood. post pics of the new ones when you get them circulated

Benjamin

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising

I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.

To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

J.R.R Tolkien

Here are some pics of the first coin of the batch to come out the end of the finishing process. The idea is to "blue" or darken the metal, then tumble it so as to brighten the highlights and give it the appearance of age, then wax it for protection against rust. Note the two buttons added below the cowl on obverse, denoting die-2, and extensive reworking of the inscription ring around the reverse side.

FM6-01.JPG

FM6-02.JPG