Blacksmith's Knife

Hi guys,

It's been a slow fall for me. I rebuilt my forge and have been travelling a lot with work. This will likely be the last thing I finish this year. It's forged from an old Nicholson file. About 7" OAL with a 3.5" blade. It's petite, but so is the recipient (about 4'-10").

Hope you like it and wish you all a Merry Christmas.

5s.jpg

8s.jpg

I love the profile of the blade, and although I normally don't particularly like knives whose handles are the same size as or longer than the blade, this one really works.

John

Nice. Normally that style isn't really my thing, but I really like that one.

Very nice Dan

Nice to see you back its been awhile. Love the knife I tried one of thoughts a while back, there not as easy as they look. Wish you and your family well for the holidays.

Kip

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the feedback.

Brandon, it's black from the quench. I didn't bring the handle up to critical temp (so as not to harden it), but it was hot enough to get a nice cooked-on Canola finish.

Thanks again,

- Dan

Brandon,

It was just an old Nicholson file. I treated it like 1095. The trick to blackening the entire thing was to get the blade up to transformation temp, but keep the handle to a dull cherry. I didn't want to fully quench the handle and make it too brittle.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Good luck!

- Dan