a quartet of spike axes

Since there seems to be a lot of axes in the air these days I figured I'd add a few more to the mix. This is one third of a commission of twelve of these little lovelies. Only four so far because that's all I've finished as of today... :wacko: These get delivered tomorrow, the rest to go out as they get done.

The group:

Mike\'s spikes 1.jpg

and some details. Each side is different, with the owner-to-be's initials on the right and the maker's marks on the left. This necessitated differing engraving layouts, so I went all out on making them different yet complimentary.

Right side:

Mike\'s spikes 2.jpg

And left side.

Mike\'s spikes 3.jpg

Those of you who played with the one I took to Bowie's will agree these are light, fast, vicious little things. Head length averages around seven inches, edge length around 1.5 to two inches, thickness at the eye is 1/2 inch. 18 inch handles at 3/8 thick by an inch at the widest, on par with mid-18th century originals.

Thanks for looking, and you know what I've been doing on weekends and will continue to be doing for the forseeable future. B)

I did get to play with that one at Bowie's and it was all I could do not to steal it. They are as described by Alan and will give one the desire to run amok and wreak some havoc too! Well done Alan, I guess there are worse things to spend one's weekends on!?

Denis

who on earth orders twelve of these badboys!? good score alan there very beutifully crafted.

the engraving is beautiful.

i had an order for eight daneaxes that unfortunatley got reduced to one....

:(

I just noticed that your interests state, "world domination"...Love it.

Where do you get the wood for your handles which are beautiful as are the axes?

Also, what type wood is it and do you do your own engraving? The whole kit is outstanding and I love your work.

Thanks, guys! :D

Phil, I can't do a group shot of the twelve since these are already gone and I have orders to send the rest as they're completed.

Josh, as to who orders twelve of them, well, I have a VERY special client who uses things like this as thank-you presents for his business associates/clients. Over the last three years I've made maybe 35 regular hawks for him. You see why I want to stay on his good side... ;) That's too bad about the dane axes, I'd have loved to see a large set of those, and even more for you to get paid for a large set of those! :lol:

Jaka, The world domination thing is only because the world would be such a better place if I were in charge of it. :rolleyes: I am not actively pursuing it, though, I'm just waiting to be crowned Grand Emperor of Earth when the collected nations of the world realize they need me. :lol:

The wood is curly sugar maple from Virginia. I got hold of a presentation-grade slab measuring 1.5 inches thick by 18 inches wide by 24 inches long for just this purpose. Look up Dunlap Woodcrafts and give 'em a call, they stock a lot of nice hardwoods.

I stained them with aquafortis and finished with boiled linseed oil as I usually do, then seal with car wax when it's dry.

And yes, I do my own engraving. It takes about four hours per head, by far the largest time expenditure in the process. Forging only takes an hour or so, and once the scale has been soaked off in vinegar cleanup on the KMG takes about half an hour per head. Add half an hour for filework, another half for polishing, and maybe an hour to cut, fit, and finish the handle and there you go. It's really hard to break it down like that though, since I do them in batches. That is, I'll forge a few heads one day, more another day, clean them up in groups, and so on.

There's a fifth one that's half-engraved in the vise right now, a failed one (the blade side mild steel would not weld no matter what)in the clinker bin under the forge, and a second (big divot in the bit weld line) that went in my local guild's iron-in-the-hat last week. It was good enough to raffle off, but not up to snuff for sale. :(