Damascus Sgian Dubh

I hope you enjoy viewing this sgian dubh that is just about finished (needs sharpening and the sheath has linseed oil applications underway). I had a good time making this and I tested out a few things I've been wanting to do. Thus it bears some scars and I've learned some things. In making this I spent a lot of time looking at the work/tutorials/buildalongs of Adriaan Gerber, Jake Cleland, Ben Potter, Jake Powning ..... thanks guys!

It came from a damascus billet made by a friend from Harley motorcycle chain and 1084. Big leaf maple burl carved with some designs inspired by 9th century Pictish stone carvings (Harley bike chain ... old Pictish carvings ...is that mythopoetic? :lol:/> ). OAL 7.75", BL 3.75". A few brass pins that honestly I regret. The sheath is big leaf maple burl with some leather at the top.

On to the pics:

DSC02340.JPG

DSC02345.JPG

DSC02343.JPG

Here are some some shots of how it came about:

DSC02322.JPG

DSC02325.JPG

DSC02327.JPG

DSC02337.JPG

Great end result, the carvings are just the right amount that it is not too much and not too little. I particularly like the way the finish on the handle/sheath brings out the emphasis on the design and draws naturally towards the blade.

John

Really nice subtle carvings Phil, that's a knife to cherish. I wouldn't regret those pins at all, they definately add a little something.

This is simply lovely Phil. What a thing. I love the brass pins splashed into the wood. I love it all! I think this is one of my favorite blades I've seen in weeks. Very nice.

I see you have a Ben Boos book. I was leaving through his sword book last night musing....

This is simply lovely Phil. What a thing. I love the brass pins splashed into the wood. I love it all! I think this is one of my favorite blades I've seen in weeks. Very nice.

I must agree with Scott, and I like the brass pins. Plus you get a bonus for using "Mythopoetic." :D

Thanks everyone!

I see you have a Ben Boos book. I was leaving through his sword book last night musing....

Yes the one in the pic contains some of his general fantasy drawings but the sword book you mention is the best. I love his depictions of the messers, bauernwehrs, "villagers'" blades as he puts it, etc. I'm thinking I'll try somethng in that area next.

• 2 years later...

...one of my favourite design elements of the sgian dubh is the way the blade swells out subtly following the line of the handle...and you have it pretty much dialed here...