Brandon Buford

I need a grinder

I hope to use some of my christmas money to purchase a proper grinder. I am interested in the Grizzly G1015 Knife Belt Sander / Buffer. A blacksmith in my area (Ken Jansen) has several and I got to see them in action.

However, I thought that maybe someone might have one or something similar that they are wanting to sell.

Let me know if you have any such item.

I hope to use some of my christmas money to purchase a proper grinder. I am interested in the Grizzly G1015 Knife Belt Sander / Buffer. A blacksmith in my area (Ken Jansen) has several and I got to see them in action.

However, I thought that maybe someone might have one or something similar that they are wanting to sell.

Let me know if you have any such item.

Unless your wanting your wanting to buy a motor as well, and a pulley system, the grizzly is a good choice. Add the 10" wheel when you order as well.

I have upto $700 to spend for a good knife grinder. Looking at the grizzly knife grinder.

Matthew, tell me more about the grinder you posted about.

Any other options?

Are you aware of the Grinder in a Box kits sold by Jamie Boley of Polar Bear Forge? The kit is a clone of the KMG grinder offered by Beaumont Metal Works. In fact, many of the parts necessary to complete Jamie's kit, such as contact wheels, idler wheels, tool arms, etc., are available from Beumont. The Grinder in a Box has the advantage that you are purchasing a high quality tool and will not end up throwing it away later. It allows you to not sink a huge amount of cash into a grinder but, to keep adding to the grinder when you can afford to. For example, you may choose to put a 1HP, 120V, motor on to start but, later, upgrade to a higher horsepower, variable speed, setup. There is also the advantage that any of the accessories made for the KMG will work with the Grinder in a Box.

Another option is the Coote grinder. I've heard good things about them.

I do not recommend the Grizzly, simply because the two options above will give you a higher quality, more versatile, tool that you will use far more and for longer. I used to own one of the Grizzly Grinders and, if you want something to use right away, they are good but, put a little elbow grease into it and... Either of the two above are better.

~Bruce~

Edited by B. Norris

I believe I want the Grinder In A Box kit. Question on a motor. I know it takes a 56c motor. It's listed with a 1hp 3k+ rpm motor. What is needed in terms of ho and rpm?

I believe I want the Grinder In A Box kit. Question on a motor. I know it takes a 56c motor. It's listed with a 1hp 3k+ rpm motor. What is needed in terms of ho and rpm?

Brandon,

Shoot Jamie an email or give him a call. He is a good guy and has probably dealt with these questions before. Should be able to get you squared away ASAP. I've seen some good motors go for next to nothing on Ebay. You may want to look there also. As for HP, my Grizzly had a 1HP, 120V, motor and I could stall it easily doing flat grinds on a wide blade. The KMG has a variable speed, 3HP motor, running on 220V. The only time I managed to stall it - it didn't stay stalled long. Blam! Just like that - it pulled the rag, that had become wedged between the belt and the tool rest, right through. It slows down on wide flat grinds, especially if I'm really leaning on them but, it doesn't stop. The question on RPM will have to be answered by someone who knows but, as long as it is the standard 1750 RPM you should be alright.

~Bruce~

All the boys gave some good advice, cant disagree with any of their points. I built myself a KMG from scratch, got the blue print online for free and was able to salvage a lot of the steel from work for free. The contact wheels are where a good portion of cost went and the motor. All said and done it only cost me about $300-350. I.bought a 2.5 horse power motor, its great

I also have a Grizzly Knife Makers Grinder. Like some of the guys mentioned, the power is a little lacking. Also theres no speed variation, nor is there a way to play with the pulleys to slow it down. With that said, I use the Grizzley often and I believe its a great beginners grinder. If you can afford it, buy the best you can afford. Bur King and Beaumont KMG are awesome.

I also have a Grizzly Knife Makers Grinder. Like some of the guys mentioned, the power is a little lacking. Also theres no speed variation, nor is there a way to play with the pulleys to slow it down. With that said, I use the Grizzley often and I believe its a great beginners grinder. If you can afford it, buy the best you can afford. Bur King and Beaumont KMG are awesome.

The thing about the Grizzly that irritated me the most was the lack of clearance caused by the motor. I could do a beautiful grind on one side of a blade and then switch to the other and never, ever, do it the same because, my hand kept hitting the motor. Switching to the Grizzly from a little import store grinder felt like I could grind a knife in half the time. Switching to the KMG from the Grizzly felt the same!

~Bruce~

I think you want one as well, but I think I may be biased... ;)/>

A 1hp will work, but you will find it under powered. I recommend a minimum of 1 1/2 hp at 3450 rpm.

If you want variable speed, you'll need a vfd and a 3 phase motor.

Regardless of what type of motor, I recommend getting it from Wayne Coe (website is http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/). Good guy with good prices and support.

Jamie

I think you want one as well, but I think I may be biased... ;)/>/>

A 1hp will work, but you will find it under powered. I recommend a minimum of 1 1/2 hp at 3450 rpm.

If you want variable speed, you'll need a vfd and a 3 phase motor.

Regardless of what type of motor, I recommend getting it from Wayne Coe (website is http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/). Good guy with good prices and support.

Jamie

My plan was to call you tomorrow sometimes and chat. I have the money ready to spend. I have been looking at motors. Leaning towards a 2hp at

3450rpm, single speed. Would love to keep the motor at $200. Don't know if that's possible. Harbor freight has one aroun $170 or so. I've had good luck with their stuff.

Regardless, I'm ready to get one!

Make sure you have a circuit that can handle the draw from the motor. I have a great 2.2/3hp 3450RPM motor which I can't run because it draws 20 amps in single phase 120v wiring. If I switch to 220v wiring, the draw will drop significantly.

currently I am running 1hp 3450 RPM motor on my KMG, and its just barely making it. When I did run the bigger 3hp motor, I was having a real good time! After resetting the fuse about 10 times, and starting to smell the insulation on my shop's wiring heat up...

A knife shop needs serious voltage. Typical 120v 15 amp circuits won't cut it.

Sadly the 3hp motor is sitting on the shelf until the shop is rewired. The 1hp motor can run the belt at 1:1 speed, but its heavily loaded and bogs down fast. You want to be able to apply heavy pressure on a 36 grit hogging belt and not hear any complaints from the motor.

Edited by Brian Madigan

Okay, I don't have any picture to upload, but I have built my Grinder in a box. Just haven't got my motor or wheels yet. I ordered this GIB with both platens. The platens go on the end of the 1 1/2in square tube. I put on platen on each end of my long tube. Can anybody who has one of these tell me how long the 1 1/2in tube needs to be to work properly and give tension. I want to cut my six foot tube in half, thus I would have two arms with a different platen on each one for quick change. but I don't want to cut it before I know the exact length that it needs to be. I will most likely run 72in belts, but if I could have it adjustable to go up to 90in belts that would be fine too.

Any advice from people who have the GIB?

It can vary a bit based on the wheel size attached to the platen plates. For 72" belts, 20" is about the minimum, but I normally suggest 24". If you cut your 6' bar in half, you should be able to run up to 90" belts.

Jamie