SBranson

Uchi-sori Tantō

I recently finished this piece. This piece was started back in Sept. and was my first attempt at carving in fullers.

The blade is W2 at 8 1/2" machi to tip. The tsuba is an Edo antique.

Saya is Massur Birch with horn fittings. Habaki and seppa are copper and the menuki are arrowhead theme.

The stand is Ipe.

Uchi-sori means "inner" curve and the spine actually drops slightly. This was a popular style in the Kamakura period.

- thanks for looking.

Uchisori_4_zps77dc64e1.jpg

Uchisori_2_zps6e357513.jpg

Uchisori_3_zps1de9f800.jpg

Uchisori_71_zpse3bc2ef6.jpg

Uchisori_81copy_zpsa91b3dfe.jpeg

Uchisori_61_zpsa85f4a15.jpg

Very cool... the shape and decorations are very attractive, lovely hamon, and the scabbard wood seems to give it a subtle Scandinavian touch... :)

The fuller came out very well, nice and clean and without all the subtle dips that my first attempt yielded. I love the hamon, too. All sorts of character there.

John

:o Thats beautiful. Almost makes me wanna make a Japanese stuff, but all my hamon making attempts have been...unsuccessful.

Very nice! The uchi-sori is a nice touch, and that fuller really sets it off! Beautiful work

Zeb

Nice :)

Amazing work , all is perfect

Omedeto Branson-San :ph34r:

that is an excellent work in a very demanding category the japanese blades!you are very talented...!Mery christmas.

Zafeiriadis konstantinos Marathon.

www.kzknives.com

wow, a most excellent result. Very nice work. The hamon blade, and fittings are all top notch.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the fuller. It came out remarkable.

Regards

Thanks for the comments.

Here's a few videos of how I did the fullers. Ignore my names of the stones.. they're wrong.

I can never keep straight how to embed videos here so here's the urls.

Edited by SBranson

Incredible work, sir! I absolutely love everything about it!

Absolute master peice

Thanks for showing

Wow. Very creative. If I understand correctly your broke off a piece of round file, mounted in a wooden jig that acted as an edge guide, and then proceeded to "draw file" in the hi.

I would have thought a metal jig was needed for fear of the wooden one wearing out/getting loose and causing play that translated to a sloppy grove. That clearly was not an issue for you.

Thanks for posting the info. I can see why a hi can be an expensive addition to a blade and when it comes time to polish.

regards

Thanks for the comments.

@ harry_r ... once the groove gets started it's pretty much self centering. Once I established it, the handle was more for ease of hanging onto such a small piece of file and to allow me to bear down a little more.