miquel

The Catalan forge... "Farga Catalana"

Success! The tuyere looks great and more importantly we have learned the process to make more.

100_8561.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

Success! The tuyere looks great and more importantly we have learned the process to make more.

miquel.

Miquel,

That was quite a marvelous casting project, congratulations. I have a couple of questions about the process. Did you switch sands to an oil bonded sand or a sand with an organic binder? Were you able to reuse the original copper material 3 times...was the copper fluxed?

Good luck with the next steps in the project ..I very much appreciate the energy you guys are putting into the project ( not to mention costs ).

Jan

Congratulations!

That was an impressive little steam puff from the first riser in that video of the pour. Glad nobody got burned!

This is so great Miquel.

I can't wait to see that Catalan furnace run.

Congrats on that casting. That tuyere looks great.

Mark

Miquel,

That was quite a marvelous casting project, congratulations. I have a couple of questions about the process. Did you switch sands to an oil bonded sand or a sand with an organic binder? Were you able to reuse the original copper material 3 times...was the copper fluxed?

Good luck with the next steps in the project ..I very much appreciate the energy you guys are putting into the project ( not to mention costs ).

Jan

Thank you, Jan for the encouragement and the comments. I am glad to be able to answer your questions.

As I said, I had no previous experience in foundry work. I understand that oil-bonded sand can be compacted better and allows for more surface detail. We used the most inexpensive way at our reach and the loss of surface detail was a trade-off. If you noticed in the pictures of the open mold, the surface has some continuity failures.

We used recycled copper without problems. We avoided copper pipes that had solder remains and only used pure copper. We use borax as a flux.

miquel.

Fantastic, Miquel!

Thank you, Jesus for everything...

miquel.

Edited by miquel

Congratulations!

That was an impressive little steam puff from the first riser in that video of the pour. Glad nobody got burned!

Thank you, Alan.

The gases were the result of combustion of a refractory paint we applied to protect the mold. We were lucky. Both of us survived unharmed.

We also made the mistake of resting the crucible on the moist ground. It could have been really bad…

Little by little we learn from our mistakes and we have no intention of winning a Darwin award.

miquel.

Well done all around! It's been quite the learning experience just watching and reading. Thank you so much for sharing and glad no one has been injured! molten metal is not very forgiving.

Denis

Little by little we learn from our mistakes and we have no intention of winning a Darwin award.

miquel.

Great perseverance. The line above made me laugh, :D/>

This is so great Miquel.

I can't wait to see that Catalan furnace run.

Congrats on that casting. That tuyere looks great.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Just hang in there for a bit longer. I have a lot of pictures to edit and I have to allow the translator some breaks (btw, Jesus is translating for me). May be later on we can talk about the benefits of this copper tuyere. Do you think that this conic shape will have any advantage over the copper pipes that you are using?

miquel.

May be later on we can talk about the benefits of this copper tuyere. Do you think that this conic shape will have any advantage over the copper pipes that you are using?

Two advantages:

1) Heat absorbed on the furnace end is gathered over a smaller surface area than the available radiating surface provided by the larger input end. An engineer might supply a 'best possible' ratio for this. This is the huge advantage of the forged copper tuyeres that a number of us are using. I would expect this function would be greatly reduced in a straight cylinder.

2) There is a pronounced increase in air velocity at the mouth of a conic tuyere. This in turn pushes the air deeper into the furnace. Coupled with the downward angle that is standard for many furnaces, the net effect is to sweep the heat zone more effectively into the volume of the furnace. This has a number of net benefits to effective operation of the furnace.

Again, there may be some ideal proportions for the furnace end vs the supply end (??).

Darrell

Two advantages:

1) Heat absorbed on the furnace end is gathered over a smaller surface area than the available radiating surface provided by the larger input end. An engineer might supply a 'best possible' ratio for this. This is the huge advantage of the forged copper tuyeres that a number of us are using. I would expect this function would be greatly reduced in a straight cylinder.

2) There is a pronounced increase in air velocity at the mouth of a conic tuyere. This in turn pushes the air deeper into the furnace. Coupled with the downward angle that is standard for many furnaces, the net effect is to sweep the heat zone more effectively into the volume of the furnace. This has a number of net benefits to effective operation of the furnace.

Again, there may be some ideal proportions for the furnace end vs the supply end (??).

Darrell

The supply tube to the tapered copper pipe can made to intentionally leak and carry heat from the copper back out away from the furnace..

Jan

Darrell and Jan. Thank you for your well-thought out replies. I think we all agree.

Edited by miquel

Last minute touch-ups.

We reinforced the top rim of the furnace so that later on we could use as a leverage point at the time of pulling out the masser, (bloom.)

100_8635.JPG?psid=1

Edited by miquel

We also added some steel plates in the shape of a funnel to be able to pile up the charcoal later.

100_8636.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

We also made a support bracket for the tuyere which allows us to modify its depth, height and angle.

100_8575.JPG?psid=1

100_8576.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

Ready for a test drive using wood only.

100_8638.JPG?psid=1

100_8639.JPG?psid=1

100_8644.JPG?psid=1

Looks like the trompe is working quite well.

All systems are go. We are now ready to run it.

miquel.

Maybe this is a bit strange qouistion, but when you cast the tube, cant you use a wooden stick to make the cone inside the tube? I dont think the wood will burn away, just carbonice into charcoal.

Im looking forward to see more from your Catalan experimnets.

Jens

Maybe this is a bit strange qouistion, but when you cast the tube, cant you use a wooden stick to make the cone inside the tube? I dont think the wood will burn away, just carbonice into charcoal.

Im looking forward to see more from your Catalan experimnets.

Jens

That’s a dangerous idea. When the molten metal comes into contact with the wood, gases would be generated which will make the molten metal spill out in a very explosive way.

miquel.

Having completed all the tests that we could do before hand, the day of truth came. We were a bit concerned as to how to manage the smelt using a this type of furnace but we trusted that our previous experience with other smelts will help guide us.

We begun early around 8 AM.

100_8711.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

We hooked the tuyere to the water trompe.

100_8709.JPG?psid=1

Started pre-heating the oven with a wood fire while guests begun to show up.

100_8714.JPG?psid=1

Trompe working at lower than 50% of capacity.

CIMG0911.JPG?psid=1

CIMG0915.JPG?psid=1

CIMG0923.JPG?psid=1

CIMG0918.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

Edited by miquel

Most of the guests had arrived as the furnace reached working temperature but we still had enough time to do breakfast before we started charging the ore.

CIMG0933.JPG?psid=1

CIMG0934.JPG?psid=1

miquel.

After breakfast we were ready to go.

CIMG0935.JPG?psid=1

miquel.