Jared Stier

battle of the nations sword

I have a buddy who is on the team and wants me to make him a sword, but I am wondering what steel would be best used for blunted steel on steel contact that needs to last for more than one round. I Was thinking 5160 or 6150 but any steel advice here would be great.

Wow Jared, I can't believe they haven't put out some kind of specs., on what the swords have to be made of.

I worry about some of my friends now playing this game. It won't be long, before someone is killed of crippled for life.

I may have heard a guy or 2 in Europe, have already been killed.

It looks like great fun, BUT!!!!

I think Matt, and Kerry make a bunch of weapons for the BOTN guys. You may could ask them.

Mark

There are lots of regs on how the blades are to be made but there are so many steels that can work I don't see that as a huge safety issue like the shape of the blade. Yeah I can't get them to get back to me but I was just thinking if anyone thought about what sort of steel would work for constant steel on steel. This is for duke palymar mark

Very cool. He should do well, and have fun. That sport just worries me. I know too many guys with kids wanting to play.

I guess I'm lucky, that I'm old and wise. Or I would be tempted as well. ;)

Good luck with the sword. It's those pole-arms that scare me.

Mark

Jared I would be more concerned with geometries and temper than steel type... and planning a robust hilt. Just use the steel that you are MOST comfortable heat treating. I've been working with a guy for quite a while on designing a sword for this event.

I'm with Mark on this. I remember Ric's production on the Ulfberht sword and saw a rolled up mat cut with a dull sword. I think that a nylon waster would be safer. As far as which steel to use, you might try some 9260 or maybe some 1065 from Kelly Cupples.

Doug

Och It does look like fun buuuut, Watching some of the trailers those polearms look like they would be rather dangerous. I agree with Doug I think 9260 or 1065 would be a good choice. As Scott said edge geometry and ht will be very important with the use they are going to get.

Luke's got it, you guys are VERY wrong if you think swords are what will hurt people in BoTN haha. maces, polearms are the real potential killers here, the swords? not really.

Personally, If I had the capabilities, or knew a heat-treater who did, I'd go for 5160, with a bainitic heat-treatment. Supposedly 5160 @ 54 RC in bainite is an order of magnitude tougher than 5160 @54 RC in martensite:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/260037-Austempering-Advantages?p=2169885#post2169885

(look at post #16 -- link should take you to the post, but sometimes it doesn't)

it looks like it would be fun if it didnt look like a hockey game was going to break out at any time :rolleyes:

If you walk in with both eyes open, you know what you are getting into!

Another great opportunity for men to be men, and there is no way to make it Tort proof! They manage to make football and hockey about as lawyer proof as possible, so why can't they figure out a way of saying, "You might get killed in this archaic tom-foolery. Remember, that most women would never be involved in it, but since we're men we don't know any better. So you have been warned, so it's on your head." and letting everyone have fun?

I do recall reading a historical treatise on injuries sustained during jousts and bots, and the stabbing fatalities came from weapons shattering under impact and someone skewering another. In one case that i recall it was wooden swords and someone lost an eye, along with the brain matter behind it.

It was all fun and games until....

Best regards,

Albert A Rasch

So what steel did you decide to go with Jared? I thought Palymar might give it up after the collar bone but he has not as of last weekend when I saw him.

Seth

Edited by sethhoward

That event is insane!! But I didn't realize that a running cross check was utilized so well during the medieval tournaments :P