I finally got around to finishing the scabbard for this sword (pics here if you are unfamiliar with this work: http://bigrockforge.com/tiodhlac-gift-of-the-ghillie-dhu/

These are the final pictures before sending it off. The scabbard is Lake Superior diver-salvaged 'Flame Birch'. Three piece construction.. two morticed pieces and then a birch spacer in between. It is goatskin lined with fox fur at the throat. There is a copper chape and the throat is copper, birch bark with goat skin extending out to provide a nice soft landing for the cross guard. The fit is firm and secure. The wood is glued together but backed up with two twisted wire 'clamps' that would support it well in case of a glue failure. Not to mention the chape and throat pieces. The flame birch was hollow ground like the blade and finished with danish oil. The suspension is a simple braided tie of no particular time period. Just a simple system that I liked. The poem that accompanies the sword (Gift of the Ghillie Dhu) is laminated onto birch bark and shellaqued with copper nails and leather thong.

Sad they always have to go.

SAR0048.jpg

SAR0055.jpg

SAR0066.jpg

SAR0067.jpg

I remember marveling at the creation of this in the first post. Upon seeing it completed with scabbard and all is awesome! It turned out better than I could have thought. I want one! Congratulations on a job well done.

Dan

Anybody elses jaw hit the floor as hard as mine? I think I'll need stiches.

I do :o I was curious what kind of closure the sheath would bring, and I can't imagine anything that would make it any more perfect. The way the accompanying poem is presented really completes the genuinely mythopoetic feel.

John

That should be in a movie some where. Awesome job thanks for sharing.

Kip

You do fantastic work. I love the leaf on the hilt, I'm not sure how I missed this when you first posted the blade but I'm glad I caught it now.