Arakhor- my KITH

Arakhor, Warden of the Forest

Here is the concept I've been working on for the KITH. It's been a little while since I've been able to work out some of the kinks in it, but I'm almost happy with it. I might change the body a little, but the blade is mostly set.

Let me know what you think, comments and criticisms welcome.

Thanks for looking,

John

1- Arakhor concept.png

It makes me think Riddick!!! Looks like it could be awesome. What about steel and handle materials?

Kip

Thanks Kip. I'm not sure yet about the handle, but something solid and probably dark wood (walnut, potentially purple heart). Possibly cast bronze, although I doubt I'll have time to try that. The blade will be mono steel, most likely 1084, although I might give 5160 a try.

Wow John, if that turns out as good as the drawings then mine pales by comparison!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fred, I'm hoping it turns out half as well B)

After a slight redesign, here goes. Steel is 1084.

I only just got around to finding my camera charger, so the few pictures I have so far are a little old. I've gotten the blade forged as close to shape as possible (where the pictures end), and I've started cutting in the stepped lines. Also, I tried carving a wooden handle based on the new design (modified slightly to be mechanically more possible), but that didn't go as well as I had hoped. I used a piece of old oak that had too much soft grain, so it came out all pocked. I think I'll be going with mokume (again..) for the scales or a bronze cast from a steel master.

Anyway, here's some long overdue progress.

Thanks for looking, and any comments and criticism welcome.

John

2- concept II.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Oh come on clean that up and etch it. I want to see!!! That looks sweet so far.

Kip

Thanks, gents. Kip, soon!

Here's the first side worked down to the rough profile.

John

8.png

That looks very familiar to me right now, brother we are in the same zone!!! :blink:

Kip

Working on this today I decided in a spur of the moment bout of inspiration that I would change the design slightly. Instead of having a spring in the spine to catch the back of the blade, I would go with the extended spine protruding piece (for lack of the technical term ;) ).

Here's what it looks like. The blade is almost done save the HT and final finish. Hope it survives the quench, as I have never heat treated something with such a weird shape before.

John

10.png

11.png

A little more work finishing the blade prep for the HT and a 1:1 sketch of the body on cardboard to finalize the placement of pins and things in anticipation of forging the mokume for scales.

John

12.png

Today, I crossed one of the final milestones- making the mokume for the scales.

They both started out as stacks of 11 quarters, forged partially to shape, layered with 3 dimes each, and then brought closer to the final dimensions. The reasoning for this was because I ran out of quarters on hand, and I had a little more mass to add yet. I had a few problems with getting them to stick, but it worked alright in the end. While waiting for the second stack to come up to fusing heat, I threw the blade in with it to begin final normalizing for the heat treatment.

I was worried about delamination from drawing them out so far length wise, but I kept them near their welding temp to avoid it and went nice and slow. Final length is about 12cm. I am still debating whether or not to put a liner on the inside of the scales, and if I do it will be either brass, copper, or steel. Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking, the end is in sight!

John

13- mokume scales.png

14.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

19.png

20.png

John, that is gonna be sweeeeet! Lets rock this party! :)

John,

Your blade turned out great, it looks like you worked out the the ripples she looks smooth!!! B) The mokume is new to me I need to give that a shot. Finish that bad boy up I want to see it done!!!

Kip

Much appreciated, gentlemen. Kip, it was a bit of a battle, but in the end it came out fairly clean. Not perfect, but much better than it previously was. I'm hoping that I can really get it where I want post HT.

This week has been rough, but I managed to nearly finish the first mokume piece. It's farther along than the last picture, but I haven't been able to get that captured yet. The shape is refined and the roughness of cutting in the topography is mostly gone. I had more trouble than I anticipated with the bits I am using, as the mokume reacts very different compared to steel. So does just about everything else...

Anywho, I have virtually all this next week to work, so I anticipate I'll be completely done on Monday or Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to finish the mokume surface before patina would be greatly appreciated. I can't get a good angle to sand it by hand, and all the fine abrasive bits I have don't fit very well in the smaller spaces.

Thanks for looking

John

21.png

22.png

John that's starting to look very interesting. B) finishing the mokume? Never done it but I would guess it wouldn't be much different them bronze. I told Wes I would post the bits I use on my wip. I'll try to get to that tomorrow. I can tell you what I use the most on bronze is a set of diamond bits that range from 150 to 600 in grit on a very low speed. I use various shape bits depending on the look I am trying to achieve. Its most important to keep the bit moving. Almost like your just rubbing away the material you want removed. It takes some time but its worth it. Hope that helps if any of it made sense. :blink:

Kip

Thanks Kip, I never would have thought to try the diamond bits. I'll see what I can do with them.

John

After sitting down with this last night and this morning, I think I have a fairly good handle on surface finishing. I still need a little time, but here's what she's looking like.

I decided to mark where the holes will be drilled before going too much farther [1st picture], and then got to looking at the hinge end. For the most part, it is a large, flat, boring face that I had to do something with to keep the flow with the rest of the piece. So, I marked out a few designs and this is what I wound up doing. At first, I wasn't pleased with where it was going, but after widening the indentation and smoothing the curves, it sits more naturally without upsetting the pin hole.

I started by using the carbide cutting bits I have to rough it out [2nd picture], then went to an al/oxide bit to clean it up. From there, I hand sanded to show the character better, went back to the cutting bits to finalize the shape, and then went to the diamond bits and more hand sanding. Fortunately, this space is large enough to do that with. Unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly more difficult to photograph. This is where it currently sits while I put a test patina on it [3rd picture].

John

23.png

24.png

25.png