Sign in to follow this  
Luke Shearer

Curley maple and san mai...

Finished some knives...

Both are wrought iron san mai with super pretty curley maple ( cut from the same block...thanks to Jared Stier!) for the handles. You really have to move it around in the light for the full effect. Not really any similarities beyond that :)

First is a little quickie puukko-esque knife I made for fun. I did a bit of carving on it because I hadnt done any in a long time. I learned with this one that carving and buffing are, for all intents and purposes, mutually excusive :huh:. I'm still digging white compound out of the cracks...I'll probaby make a sheath for this one and put it up for sale..

011.JPG

020.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

The other one is something I finally finished up after about a year. A friend of mine is into film and we filmed a short video of me making the blade, but we never really got around to shooting the handle process :( Maybe I'll talk him into letting me post what we finished...Anyway, I had to finish this one up for a birthday. Wrought iron gaurd, nickle silver bolster, and copper spacers from an "unrolled" plumbers pipe.

023.JPG

026.JPG

032.JPG

028.JPG

These last few I was just messin' about with the camera. Plants are cool.

flower.jpg

plant.jpg

thistle.jpg

Before you ask...yeah we didnt really get a "winter" this year in the first place and most of the plants are confused and think its spring already...

Thanks fer lookin' :)

I like the bowie.....And you can send some of that spring up here I've had enough winter here .... :(

WOW Luke! nicely done, with bowies I either love or hate them but this one I LOVE! also have a thing for maple and wrought so thats a huge plus too hehe ;)

You've been making some really nice knives lately and I expect we'll be seeing alot more from you in the future! B) Keep it up

Thanks Guys! the bowie's a hefty one. The spine is about 3 eighths of an inch without distal taper. It feels like a tool, and the handle fills my tiny hands...

I like the bowie.....And you can send some of that spring up here I've had enough winter here .... :(

Clifford...you can have it. I want cold.

Luke

Thoughts look really good and your right that maple is sexy. ;)

Kip

Nice work...loving that Bowie!

Lookin' good there, Luke!

That little bit of filework on the ends of the bowie guard really set it off from the crowd. And don't worry about the buffing. We all learn that the same way, it seems... :lol:

Thanks fellow smithies... I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this

And don't worry about the buffing. We all learn that the same way, it seems... :lol:

Glad to know I'm not the only one thats done that... :mellow:

I have a large supply of Curley Spaulded Maple { 4Ft tall by 4to7Ft. in Dia. stumps.} When I cut a one half inch piece, 6in. long, I noticed there was depth along each curl and it felt good to my hand. Can you tell me why you sanded it flat? If there is a problem with leaving it indented I would like to know. Mike.

I have a large supply of Curley Spaulded Maple { 4Ft tall by 4to7Ft. in Dia. stumps.} When I cut a one half inch piece, 6in. long, I noticed there was depth along each curl and it felt good to my hand. Can you tell me why you sanded it flat? If there is a problem with leaving it indented I would like to know. Mike.

I honestly have never experienced that phenomenon and just worked the maple as normal...did you split the maple or use a saw? If it feels good, definitely feel free to leave it as is on your knives.