Geoff Keyes

Blown burners, the care and feeding

It sounds like you are starting to burn your steel.  Maybe you might want to cut things back just a tad and see how it still welds.  My experience, little that it is, is that forge welding will eat up your gas.

Doug

I'd dial back the air, then the fuel.  Sparks mean too much air.  And yeah, maybe a smaller burner tube too.  350ci isn't that big.  That said, two solid days of welding will drink a full 100lb tank.

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

The sparks came after the third fold and the weld wasn't really taking, so I went a little overboard with it. But I'll try backing off a little bit the next time I'm at it, and if it still seems high I'll probably give a smaller tube a shot.

Simple equation. More heat takes more fuel + getting hot faster takes more fuel = running hotter and faster takes more fuel. 

But, what's already been said, if you are throwing sparks you are running too hot with too much air.

This actually points out something, as a venturi guy, that I believe. A blown burner is not automatically more fuel efficient than a venturi. There are so many variables that it would take an expensive testing lab and a lot of time testing both designs until they were both optimized, in forges optimized for each type in order to find ANY significant difference. Without that testing IMO it is a matter of initial building issues, tuning, and personal preference, rather than any empirical choice.  With the variables involved in all of our various forges it's more a matter of what the individual THINKS they're getting and their motives for the choice. If it keeps people forging then it's all good anyway. 

I have had a forge of the same design for several years now. I used to be able to get clean welds with it but I cannot anymore due to an oxidizing atmosphere. I've re-lined it with new kaowool and castable  refractory. Idk what the deal is. Does anyone know how to prevent an oxidizing atmosphere?

Thanks, Chris

Rich-en your mixture, when it's oxidizing there isn't enough fuel in the mix for a neutral

environment...........feed it some more beans, or cut some air flow.................;)

Edited by Clifford Brewer

3 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Rich-en your mixture, when it's oxidizing there isn't enough fuel in the mix for a neutral

environment...........feed it some more beans, or cut some air flow.................;)

Thanks Clifford, I'll give it a whirl.

Make sure you have a decent amount of dragon breath from the mouth of the forge. This is a good indicator of a neutral or slightly reducing atmosphere. And if your running low on fuel I wouldn't even attempt a weld. But too much flame from The mouth of the forge and your just dumping carbon monoxide in the room.