Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In 2013

Kerrystagmer

Fire and Brimstone 2013 will be March 23-24 this year so as to avoid Easter ( and one week post the Antique Arms Show in Baltimore)

It is hard to believe it has been a year already.

Sam Salvati came to F&B last year AND NEVER WENT HOME. He has been a great addition to our team.

Seriously, an amazing year here at Baltimore Knife and Sword. More sanders, more roof and so many more blades.

Yes, Yes Doug has indeed confirmed so at least that is settled!

Mark Green, Jesus Hernandez and Zeb will be having a crazy charcoal burning smeltfest like last year.

Jeff Pringle will be in charge of the alternate fuels and crucibles.

Mark will be doing some water casting of ingot.

Ilya will be returning (he also basicly never left...) but I promise to make him work a little quieter this year,

We have added a line of chiseled and chased blades over the last year using the fly press. I think everyone will be amaze to see how easy the work is vs hot chiseling

I'm sure more of the demonstrators will lock in now that we are posting dates.

We have 2 new kick press and 1 new screw press (yes another one..) 6 baders up and running and at LEAST 2 hammers.

Something you would like to see? Post it here and we will add everything we can.
We will be limiting attendance to 60. Registration will be $75 for the entire weekend to offset our costs. Vendors and tailgating is encouraged at no additional fee and will have separate parking, trailers allowed.

Please let us know if you plan to bring anything that will need forklifting and we will have one available.

Please visit our site http://www.fireandbrimstone.com We will update the event section over this next week. Feel free to use the registration sheet as is in case you get there before us.

The site will include accommodations, Schedule, and Artists/Demonstrators. We are still rebuilding the site but it is live now and registration is open. I will be talking to the local hotel to see if we can get group rates. Breakfast and lunch are provided, grills are open for anything you wish to bring or share! Camping is encouraged but weather in Maryland is always suspect! The later dates should help us out quite a bit. The first year we had snow, 2nd year it was down right warm and sunny, 3rd well we had a little water, 4th Having a roof makes all the difference!!.... There are bathrooms(spot-a-pots) but no showers.

1231053902_92E8p-XL.jpg

post-1272-1240907963.jpg

post-22132-130007032595.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a marvelous time last year. (Despite the self inflicted sliced hand). Got to visit with Jesus and Lee Sauder on my way up from Texas. Even without the F&B this alone was worth the trip. But F&B was fabulous. Met some fantastic folks. More importantly took away multiple possibilities. I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately will not make it this year. Will be tap-tap-tapping away at Patrick's class at Ric's place at the end of March. If you can go-Go!!

As fortune has it, I'll be at Annapolis on the 22nd/23rd. Contingent upon when I can get away, I will absolutely be there!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

I will be there this year as I missed last years F&B Hammerin I am hoping my apprentice will able to come. I may even pay for him to come, who knows. It is always a pleasure to be around folks of like nature.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Hint taken. I'll be there, at least to pick up the hammer if Sam finishes it by then, but it comes on a weekend after my wife's chemo so I likely won't be over-nighting, unless she's more sick of me by then than her treatment.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

THis is the type of work we are doing using the fly press. This is cold worked and fairly easy on the hands.

395666_595481887133108_1068398491_n.jpg

Question for the hosts--

I am not officially permitted to depart from Annapolis until 1200 on the 24th, but may be able to escape earlier either on Sunday or possibly even Saturday (although I doubt it). So, should I still register?

Thanks in advance

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

I often talk to guys who think this event is only for the more advanced makers. I think no one gets more out of it then mid level new makers and collectors.

John we can play it by ear. Please fill out the application on the Fire and Brimstone site so I have your contact info.

If anyone is interested, I've got access to some big blocks of D2, nice for anvils. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll see whats still left and bring what I can. IIRC it was 1.50$ a pound, but the last time I was there, they were saying they might haul it all to scrap, so I may be able to get it a bit cheaper :)

Zeb

Edited by ZebDeming

I registered yesterday, and look forward to it. I've actually got a few things I'd like to accomplish/learn this year. As usual, I'll probably have some of my water stones with me if anyone wants to play.

-J

Mr. Price, you terrify and excite me at the same time. Good job! That takes work!

In somewhat of a preview of Blacksmith Days in Westminster Maryland (May BGCM event) we will have demonstrator Randy McDaniel here with a BIG Hydraulic press on Saturday.

I felt that bringing in someone who uses a press for production work making parts would be very good for us. Randy also jobs out laser cutting for blacksmiths and we have just started getting samples and pricing from him. The pricing is great and it is very nice to have someone working as the salesman who actually understands what we are building as smiths.

We also have recently aquirred large kick presses and will have at least on usable on hand for anyone who wants to explore their usefulness.

• 3 weeks later...

For those coming who have not yet registered please do so!

We are at the food buying point and need a fairly accurate head count.

I'm heading out today to see Mike Shipes new 75 lb tire hammer. Sam has said it runs very nice. Mike will be bringing it to the hammer-in and it should be here all weekend for trying out.

Edited by Kerrystagmer