Howdy! My second knife and first post

Hi all. I have been lurking in this forum for quite a few months now reading as much as I can. Here is my second finished knife. You will never see the first unless you torture it out of me. The blade is 5160 forged to shape and then hand finished with files and lots of sanding. The wood is maple that has been stained. Blade length is 4 inches, and 1/8 inch at the ricasso.

The sheath is the first I have ever done, and I would be a liar if I said that I didn't get an immense amount of inspiration from the work of Lukasz and Petr.

I learned a lot from this knife and made a ton of mistakes. Thankfully, none were disastrous. Please let me know what you think, as I appreciate honest feedback. Thanks!

knife.jpg

knife_scabbard.jpg

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Nice job !!! B)

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

cool sheath!! where did you get your bronze sheet from?

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Thanks guys.

Geoff - Oddly enough at the local Ace Hardware. They sell a little brass and a little copper in the back of the store.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

Eric - You would be surprised. Don't get me wrong, they aren't overflowing with steel and other metals, but they usually have a small selection of mild steel stock for welders, and some small brass and copper sheet and rod. The rivets on the sheath were made from 1/8th inch brass rod I bought there.

Nice work, I wouldn't have guessed it to only be your second. I like the sheath I'm a terrible sheath maker, but I want to try one like that someday.

Edit: oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Edited by Jim P

Nice work, clean lines and a well defined ricasso. I probably would have made a guard for it, just for the practice and experience of making one so you know what the process of making one is like. The sheath looks great too.

Matt

I think it's a work well done! I was looking at the knife for a moment, and I find it very interesting :) You know, the shape of the knife and sheath tells me it has viking ancestors, as do the sheath fittings, yet they look somehow modern... perhaps it's and EDC of a viking who left Earth some thousand years ago and now comes back :)

Nice job!

Now on the next one don't use a ricasso and choil and you'll be more historically accurate. ;)

I get small brass sheet and rod stock from my local ACE hardware too. If you need a bigger sheet and don't want to order online go to a big box hardware store and buy a brass door kickplate. Just make sure it says solid brass or it'll just be plated.

Matt - You know, I actually started on a guard, and the fit was poor so I backed off. It is totally happening on one of the next knives I am working on.

Ondřej - Thanks! I had a friend say almost the exact same thing about it. Old and modern at the same time.

Kip - Thanks :) I will do my best.

Alan - HA! You saw right through me. I can't tell you how many times I hemmed and hawed on whether to include the ricasso and choil. Brass door kickplate huh... never though doing that. Thanks!