Axe 'n Sax-in 2013

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was thinking as well Jesus, looks like that ingot forged up nice. I cut my ingot in half and sure enough, just like Jeff suspected, there were a few voids inside, I normalized both halves a couple times and started hammering, a few cracks started, so instead of struggle, I just heated it to a welding temp and squished each half flat in the press and folded it a couple times, it works like very good steel now, alot of cracking most likely was my inexpirence with the material. One half is drawn into a nice 3/8" square bar for edge steel in pattern welding, the other half will be folded just the same and made into something sharp. After watching Jeff do some direct reductions in a crucible, I'm gonna give it another try, even had a discussion with Jesus on a different way to reduce ore that I may have to experiment with ;)

Zeb

We used graphite crucibles, the cheap ones ;-)

The pattern came out alright, this is the best image I got so far - uneven lighting!

OASIpattern2.jpg

Then I managed to snap the blade while trying to take out a slight warp on the first tempering heat - D'oh! Now I have a nice Viking box cutter :rolleyes: ...or koftgari knife.

photo-7.jpg

Jeff,

I have quite a collection of those around......most without handles though.

Zeb there are many ways to reduce the ores...one just needs to remove the oxide by any means.

Ric

Yes indeed Ric, that damn Oxygen and its affinity for iron. I think you were there too when we were talking of hydrogen reduction, didn't you mention something about a vacuum as well? It was awesome to be able to talk homemade steel with everyone there.

Here is what I forged from half of the ingot, like I said it was cracky, so I folded the steel a couple times, there's no real "wootzy" pattern in it, but man is it nice steel :)

20131116_192048.jpg

Zeb