Jeff Pringle

Axe 'n Sax-in 2013

Okay, Gents!

For those of you sharing a room with Bruce at the Hilton Homewood Suites for OASI 2013 I thought you might like to know what's for the free dinner buffet served to guests on Thursday, October 24th. Dinner is served usually 5-7pm, and will be:

BBQ Beef Brisket

Cornbread

Corn

Chicken Soup

Salad Bar

Rolls

Fresh Fruit - Apples, Bananas, Oranges

Lemonade, Iced Tea, Hot Tea, & Coffee

Brownies

Remember you can go back and get more if you're still hungry.

~Theresa~

Bruce's Wife

I have every intention of reducing the Oxtail and Shrimp stocks of Barlata's that evening, unless Lanesplitter's is still open... a slice might be nice after a travel day.

I am very Keen to explore the food of northern california,

I am also keen to but every one a beer.

I am flying into LA and making my way up to Oakland with my good lady , where we split for the duration of the forge in...

any good food , view , roads etc would be appreciated .

I have visited loads of American forges , but as of yet am pretty new to being a tourist.....

Take Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway! At least up to Monterey, but all the way to San Francisco would be lovely if you have time. I-5 is deadly boring in the Central Valley.

And smelly as you pass Harris Ranch, though the prime rib is excellent and you're upwind by the time you're at the restaurant.

The coastal roads can get clogged fast with traffic, as there aren't really any options to use, but school's in and non-weekend driving should be decent enough by this time of year.

Oh, and why do people call the Bay area "Northern California?" It's quite central to the state. Northern California is different, State of Jefferson different, and takes another day to drive through, just as SoCal has its own vibe.

Edited by Christopher Price

If you want to stop in Monterey for lunch, there is a British pub with a very tasty chicken curry. (They have beer too :-)

Niels.

I'll be in LA the week before the event....things to see.

Ric

I'll be in LA the week before the event....things to see.

Ric

You should go poke Swatton while you're there.

My family is from the Marysville area about 2 hours north of Oakland. If you're willing to drive about 3 hours visit Lake Tahoe, it's always a beautiful sight. Otherwise, my kids say to see China Town in San Francisco and the Egyptian Museum in San Jose as its pretty cool inside and out. Here's the website:

http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/

~Theresa~

Bruce's Wife

Greetings from Team Dane Axe!
This is just a last minute reminder for those still thinking about purchasing T-shirts that TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER T-SHIRTS FOR THE OAKLAND AXE 'N SAX-IN ! (see attached pictures)
The very stylish Official OASI T-Shirt (on black) comes to us courtesy of our very own international demonstrator Petr Florianek. The somewhat ominous Team Dane Axe T-Shirt (on charcoal gray) has been provided by OASI in-house demonstrator Jim Austin. We will be grateful for all purchases of these shirts as the proceeds will benefit the event immensely. If you would like to be the proud owner of one or both of them please state the artwork and size that you would like along with the number of each. Each T-Shirt is available for $20. Please Paypal to: jlp3@earthlink.net . Orders must be placed (and paid for) by October 11th and can be picked up at the event.
Respectfully, Team Dane Axe.

00 axe&sax.jpg

00 danemock2.jpg

So...who is in which hotel?

Ric

Booked at same hotel

Ric

so are we,,,

Edited by JM Wands

Yeah, well the Appalachian Contingent (aka, the good ol' boys) will be parked outside in a 31 foot RV all weekend. Hide yer women.

oh man, they are in for a treat, lol, gonna be fun

The following of us are booked at the Hilton Homewood Suites Oakland Waterfront:

Bruce Norris

John Page

Luke Shearer

JM Wands

John Rigone

~Bruce~

I'm gonna be a honorary Appalachian, I'll be staying in the RV with the Appalachian gang.

Zeb

Well, we managed to turn Jesus into one, you shouldn't be too hard to convert.

I was planning on bringing stuff for show and tell, especially an 18th century French Cooper's Axe of Owen's I've had for a year or two now...Just have to hope the bags make it!

I'm bringing my viking ax and spear, because I want to sandblast and polish a couple sections for further study under Jeff's hand. I'm also bringing my Drakkenseax, my feasting seax, and the recent throat-slicer as Alan put it, possibly a small wootz piece if I get it handled this weekend.

Also, I have groupies showing up Sunday night for dinner, if you guys wanna come out with us. Motorcycle riders, mainly. Interesting crowd. One's a recent customer.

Edited by Christopher Price